Understanding Notation: Simplifying \vec{a} = \dot{v}

• Thread starter tolove
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, simple notation is the use of symbols and characters to represent scientific concepts in a concise and easy-to-understand manner. It is important in science because it allows for efficient communication and problem-solving. Some common examples of simple notation include symbols for units of measurement, mathematical operators, and chemical symbols for elements. It is used in various scientific disciplines and can be learned through online resources and talking to a teacher or professor.
tolove
I'm wanting to write,
[itex]\vec{a}[/itex] = [itex]\dot{v}[/itex]
But I don't think this is entirely correct. Is there a standard shorthand for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
tolove said:
I'm wanting to write,
[itex]\vec{a}[/itex] = [itex]\dot{v}[/itex]
But I don't think this is entirely correct. Is there a standard shorthand for this?

Acceleration as the time derivative of velocity? Yeah, that should work (and how could you make it shorter?), but velocity is a vector so [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] = [itex]\dot{\vec{v}}[/itex], or in the Leibniz notation,
[tex]\vec{a}=\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/tex]

What is simple notation question?

Simple notation question refers to the use of symbols and characters to represent mathematical or scientific concepts in a concise and easy-to-understand manner.

Why is simple notation important in science?

Simple notation allows scientists to communicate complex ideas and equations in a more efficient and standardized manner. It also helps with data analysis and problem-solving.

What are some common examples of simple notation in science?

Some common examples of simple notation in science include symbols for units of measurement (e.g. m for meters, kg for kilograms), mathematical operators (e.g. + for addition, * for multiplication), and chemical symbols for elements (e.g. H for hydrogen, O for oxygen).

Can simple notation be used in different scientific disciplines?

Yes, simple notation is used in various scientific disciplines, including mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology. It is a universal language that allows scientists from different fields to understand and communicate with each other.

How can I learn more about simple notation?

There are many online resources and textbooks available that explain simple notation and its applications in different scientific fields. Talking to a science teacher or professor can also be helpful in understanding and mastering simple notation.