1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple ODE, cannot figure out a Way to solve

1. Nov 5, 2005 #1
    I'm a HS senior, and have never covered differential equations outside a CalculusII curriculum. :frown: This is not homework, rather only a part (just one part!) of an interesting problem I posed myself (for myself) one day:

How would I solve for [tex]y(x)[/tex] from :shy::

[tex]\frac{{dy}}{{dy}} = \frac{x}{{f - y + \sqrt {x^2 + \left( {f - y} \right)^2 } }} [/tex]

where "f" is a constant :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2005 #2

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hello Bomba. May I suggest you use standard nomenclature: Reserve the 'f' for a function and just use 'k' for a constant:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{x}{(k-y)+\sqrt{x^2+(k-y)^2}}[/tex]

Note that the (k-y) expression occurrs twice. How about using a change of variables for starters:

[tex]u=k-y[/tex]

Do that, then note that even though you have a square root, the equation is still homogeneous of degree 1. Such equations are normally solved by letting:

[tex]u=xv[/tex]

Make that substitution, do the algebra, simplify, separate variables, integrate, switch back to u, then back to y.:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?