Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple ODE/PDE clarification

1. Nov 17, 2013 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

hey pf!

here's the question: $$ u \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x} = \rho \frac{ d P}{ d x}$$ may i generally state $$ \rho P+1/2 u^2 = const. $$

the book does, and it seems the [itex]dx[/itex] cancels the [itex]\partial x[/itex] on both sides and we simply integrate through. this seems to be mathematically untrue. can someone confirm/reject this? also, what conditions would be necessary to have the above true (if it is indeed untrue generally)?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I doubt very much that you book says exactly that! I suspect it says instead that
    [itex]\rho P- (1/2)u^2= const[/itex]. (Notice the negative.)

The partial derivative is simply the ordinary derivative while treating other variables as if they were constants. What ever the other variable(s) in u might be, since they do not appear in the equation, this would be solved exactly as if it were
    [tex]u\dfrac{du}{dx}= \rho\dfrac{dP}{dx}[/tex].

Now, you can treat [itex]du/dx[/itex] and [itex]dP/dx[/itex] as if they were ratios of differentials as we do in Ordinary Caculus.

4. Nov 18, 2013 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

ahh yes, my mistake. the negative is definitely there. sorry. but thanks for answering the crux of the question

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook