Understanding Op-Amp Circuits: Simple Circuit Help & Calculation Tips

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Petrucciowns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit Op-amp
In summary, the conversation discusses a simple op-amp circuit and the calculation of Vout. The formula for Vout is (2*V2 - V1) * Aol, and it is pointed out that opamps are rarely used open loop. The conversation also addresses the issue of output saturation and the limitations of opamps in terms of rail-to-rail output.
Petrucciowns
I have a simple op-amp circuit that I need help understanding:
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/3939/opamp.jpg

I know that the positive input is noninverting and the negative input is inverting.

I thought Vout was calculated by (V2-V1)(Aol), but I guess I am wrong. Can anyone help me figure out how to calculate Vout on at least one of the lines so I can figure out the rest.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered that the output might saturate?

Petrucciowns said:

I know that the positive input is noninverting and the negative input is inverting.

I thought Vout was calculated by (V2-V1)(Aol), but I guess I am wrong. Can anyone help me figure out how to calculate Vout on at least one of the lines so I can figure out the rest.

Thanks.

Opamps are not used open-loop. You need to add feedback to have an opamp "circuit".

Petrucciowns said:

Thanks.

You made a slight mistake in your formula. It's a common mistake and I've noticed experienced engineers in this forum making the same mistake. The formula should be (2*V2 - V1) * Aol though opamps are rarely used open loop. This formula holds even for a standard inverting amplifier with feedback. For instance in your circuit, if you put a 1k resistor between V1 and the inverting input and another 1 k resistor between the output and the inverting input the amplifier becomes an amplifier with a gain of -1. If we put 5V at V2 and 4 V at V1, what is the output voltage? Is it 5V - 4V = 1V or is it 2*5V - 4V = 6V? Try it.

In your example, because the gains are so high your outputs were always at the + or - rail except once, when you got -200mV. Let's plug your input voltages into the formula and calculate the result. (2*1uV - 3uV) * 200K = (2uV - 3uV) * 200k = -200mV. Okay?

I am still having problems with both formulas. For example let's do the first two. First with my formula and then with yours.

V1=4mv V2=1mv

my way- (1mv-4mv)* 200k= -600 volts
your way - (2x1mv-4mv)* 200k = -400 volts

So why is the answer 9 volts? Does it have something to do with the sources?

V1=2 micro v V2=1 micro volt

my way- (1 micro volt- 2 micro volts)*200k = -200mv
This actually is the answer that is written down why?

Your way (2X 1 micro volt- 2 micro volts)*200k = -400mv
Which is not the answer written down.

Can someone try to explain to me what I am not getting?

berkeman said:
Opamps are not used open-loop. You need to add feedback to have an opamp "circuit".

Yes, this is just academic to see how one works.

Petrucciowns said:
my way- (1mv-4mv)* 200k= -600 volts
your way - (2x1mv-4mv)* 200k = -400 volts

Yep. How would the output of the opamp swing to hundreds of volts, using only +/-10V power supplies?

Petrucciowns said:

It's probably because the opamp isn't a so-called rail-to-rail output opamp. This means that when the opamp output is saturated, the outputs can't swing all the way to the rail (supply) voltages. They can't make it all the way to 10 volts; only 9 volts.

Oh, I get it guys. Thanks a lot.

1. What is an op-amp circuit?

An op-amp (operational amplifier) circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses an operational amplifier to amplify and manipulate an input signal. It is commonly used in analog circuits for tasks such as amplification, filtering, and signal conditioning.

2. How does an op-amp circuit work?

An op-amp circuit typically consists of an operational amplifier, resistors, and capacitors. The operational amplifier amplifies the difference between its two input terminals, and the output is fed back to the input through a feedback loop. This allows for precise control and manipulation of the input signal.

3. What are some common applications of op-amp circuits?

Op-amp circuits are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including audio amplifiers, signal processing circuits, and instrumentation amplifiers. They are also commonly used in feedback circuits to stabilize and control electronic systems.

4. How can I design a simple op-amp circuit?

Designing an op-amp circuit involves selecting the appropriate operational amplifier, determining the desired gain and input/output impedance, and choosing the appropriate resistors and capacitors. Online resources and circuit simulation software can also be helpful in designing and testing op-amp circuits.

5. What are some common issues with op-amp circuits and how can they be resolved?

Some common issues with op-amp circuits include instability, noise, and offset. These can be resolved by using appropriate decoupling capacitors, reducing the gain, and using offset-nulling techniques. It is also important to carefully select high-quality components and properly layout the circuit to minimize noise and interference.