1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple p-series question

1. Jul 31, 2012 #1
    I just wanted to check that this was legal.

[itex]\sum_5^\infty \frac{1}{(n-4)^2} = \sum_1^\infty \frac{1}{n^2}[/itex] ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure it is. They are the same series, aren't they?

4. Jul 31, 2012 #3
    Thanks

5. Aug 1, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A slightly more formal derivation would be:
    [tex]\sum_{n=5}^\infty \frac{1}{(n-4)^2}[/tex]
    Let i= n- 4. Then [itex](n-4)^2= i^3[/itex] and when n= 5, i= 5- 4= 1. Of course, i= n-4 goes to infinity as n goes to infinity so
    [tex]\sum_{n=5}^\infty \frac{1}{(n-4)^2}= \sum_{i=1}^\infty \frac{1}{i^2}[/tex]

But both "n" and "i" are "dummy" variables- the final sum does not involve either- so we can change them at will. Changing "i" to "n" in the last sum,
    [tex]\sum_{n=5}^\infty \frac{1}{(n-4)^2}= \sum_{i=n}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]

The crucial point is that, as Dick said, "they are the same sequence":
    [tex]\sum_{n=5}^\infty \frac{1}{(n-4)^2}+ \frac{1}{(5-4)^2}+ \frac{1}{(6-4)^2}+ \frac{1}{(7- 4)^2}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot= 1+ \frac{1}{4}+ \frac{1}{9}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]
    [tex]\sum_{n= 1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2}= \frac{1}{1^2}+ \frac{1}{2^2}+ \frac{1}{3^2}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot= 1+ \frac{1}{4}+ \frac{1}{9}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook