1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple parametric equations

1. Nov 30, 2012 #1
    A curve has parametric equations

x = 2 cot t, y = 2sin² t , 0 < t ≤ pi/2

(a) find an expression for dy/dx in terms of the parameter t
    (b) Find an equation of the tangent to the curve at the point where t = pi/4
    (c) Find a cartesian equation of the curve in the form y = f(x). State the domain on which the curve is defined.

I've done part a),
    I've done part b),
    I've partway done part c), I have found the equation (y = 8/(4+x^2)), however I don't know how to find the domain on which the curve is defined, any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If x = 2 cot t, 0 < t ≤ pi/2, what values of x can you get?

4. Nov 30, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

x as a function of t is defined for all t in (0, ##\pi/2##]. What interval constitutes the codomain for x = f(t) = 2 cot(t)?. That will be your domain for your nonparametric equation.

5. Nov 30, 2012 #4
    Well drawing the cot graph as t approaches pi/2, x approaches 0 ∴ domain will approach infinity? Similar when t is really small the domain will approach 0? so 0<x<∞ or x>0?

6. Nov 30, 2012 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The domain doesn't "approach" anything - it's just an interval that you specify by an inequality or interval notation. (I'm taking shortcuts here - a domain might be the union of several disjoint intervals.)
    Well, almost. It's actually 0 ≤ x < ∞, or x ≥ 0. Both of those represent the same interval, which you can also write as [0, ∞).

I don't know if you noticed, but the domain of f(x) = 8/(4 + x2) is all real numbers. The restricted domain you found comes from x(t) = cot(t).

7. Dec 1, 2012 #6
    okay, thank you

just one question - why does it include 0?

8. Dec 1, 2012 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "the domain on which the y= f(x) is defined" is a set of x values, not t.
    t cannot be 0 but x can. [itex]x(\pi/2)= cot(\pi/2)= 0[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook