Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple partial (?) fraction?

1. Jul 15, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I found the following formula:

[tex]
    \prod_{m=1}^{N_d} \frac{1}{(1-e^{\alpha_{(m)}}z^{-1})^{n_{(m)}}} = \sum_{m=1}^{N_d} \sum_{n=1}^{n_{(m)}} \frac{c_{m,n} }{(1-e^{\alpha_{(m)}}z^{-1})^{n_{(m)}}}
    [/tex]

What I want is finding the coefficients [tex]c_{m,n}[/tex]. This looks like a simple partial fraction method.

In fact I am able to find the coefficients in the following form:

[tex]\dots = \sum_{m=1}^{N_d} \sum_{n=1}^{n_{(m)}} \frac{c_{m,n} }{(z-e^{\alpha_{(m)}})^{n_{(m)}}}[/tex]

using the standard partial fraction method. This is also what I get using Apart in Mathematica.

But I need the coefficients for the form described above: Only the denominator should contain [tex]z^{-1}[/tex] and nothing more.

Can anybody tell me how to get this form? Is it possible at all? (it should be because this formula is used in a paper...)

Is there any Mathematica command which produces the desired form?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
    divB

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2010 #2
    use a change of variables for the exponential and the 1/z, you would be back in the standard form again. Find the partial fractional form and replace the variables.

4. Jul 15, 2010 #3
    Oh, I am so stupid .... sure, this works!

Thank you very much!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook