1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Pendulum and speed

1. Dec 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You pull a simple pendulum of length 0.260m to the side through an angle of 3.50∘ and release it.

Part A:
    How much time does it take the pendulum bob to reach its highest speed?

Part B:
    How much time does it take if the pendulum is released at an angle of 1.75∘ instead of 3.50∘?

2. Relevant equations
    T=2π√(m/k)

3. The attempt at a solution

I got the correct answer of t = 0.256s, but I do not understand why it doesn't change according to the change in the angle. Our masterphysics homework site has a online app that allows us to work with a simple pendulum. When I change the angle (lets say from 1° to 90°), I get different values that it takes to reach the very bottom (0°). This position in the pendulum will be the position of greatest velocity because there is no potential energy. Can someone explain what I am missing here? Thank you so much.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When the angle is just 3.5 degrees, you can make a small-angle approximation which works pretty well. It is only in this approximation the pendulum will perform harmonic oscillation and thus have a fixed period. A right angle is by no means small and you therefore cannot make the small angle approximation for that case (or for any large initial angles).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted