Understanding Simple Pendulum: Solving for Speed in Lowest Position

In summary, we discussed a problem involving a simple pendulum with given values for length and mass. We also found the equation for the pendulum's motion and discussed the concepts of amplitude and phase. Using the given initial conditions, we were able to solve for the speed of the bob when it is in its lowest position. We also discussed the importance of defining a zero potential and using it to set up the equation for potential energy. The final answer for the speed of the bob in its lowest position was 4.894 m/s.
chaotixmonjuish
The figure shows a simple pendulum of length L = 54 cm and mass m = 2.4 kg. It's bob is observed to have a speed of vo = 4.8 m/s when the cord makes an angle θo = 24°. What is the speed of the bob when it is in its lowest position?

I'm having problems with this type of problem, its a new concept. Mind helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the general equation for a pendulum? How does the information you are given relate to that equation? What is happening, physically, when the bob is in its lowest position?

It's completely inaccurate to use it in this case since it only hold for small amplitude oscillations, but that is a fault of the problem, and you will just have to avoid learning inaccurate physics. Just don't believe all pendulums are described by the equation you know.

I=ml^2, is that what you mean

That would be if you had a stick pendulum that you would use inertia. For the simple case of your problem the eqn is

[tex]\theta(t) = A cos(\omega t + \phi)[/tex]

where A is the amplitude, omega is the angular velocity given by sqrt(g/l), and phi is the phase of the pendulum.

what do you mean by phase, and how would i calculate amplitude

Phase is how much the cosine wave is offset from the origin. So picture the cosine function and then move it to the right by some amount. That would correspond to a negative phase, where the equation would be

[tex]\theta(t) = A cos(\omega t - dist_{\textrm{right}})[/tex]

if you had a positive phase shift, it would move the cosine function to the left

[tex]\theta(t) = A cos(\omega t + dist_{\textrm{left}})[/tex]

Typically you will find the amplitude and phase from initial conditions, such as the one you have. You know that the velocity at time 0 and displaced to 24 degrees will be 4.8m/s.

I will show you what the initial (initial meaning time is zero) 24 degree displacement would give you

[tex] \theta(0) = 24^o[/tex]

[tex] 24^o = Acos(\phi)[/tex]

You have one equation, but two constants to solve for. What other initial condition could you use (hint: angular velocity is the time derivative of the angle)?

Also, make sure you convert the 24º into radians as soon as possible, what I posted should have been in radians even.

I think the stuff that is being given to me is a bit ahead of where I am in physics. This question is just an example of potential and kinetic energy. Right now, the only thing I am sure of is there is no potential energy at the lowest point of the pendulum

Quick question:

is the change in height 1.175

Ah, okay. Sorry, this is why it is good to show your work, or talk about some ideas before you ask for help.

The change in height, the magnitude, is l - lcos24º, whatever that figures out to be.

So you should probably define your zero potential at the lcos24º height or the l height. Then you know the Energy initial will equal energy final.

I'm having a problem setting up the equation for potential energy. That's where it all lies.

Is the right answers 6.47 m/s

You would get, if you defined the zero potential to be at the height lcos24.

[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv_0^2 + 0 = \frac{1}{2}mv_f^2 - mg(l - lcos(24))[/tex]

Solve for vf.

4.894 m/s

That's what i got with that equation.

It's right!

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a device that consists of a weight suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. It is commonly used to demonstrate the concept of periodic motion.

2. What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period (or time it takes for one complete swing) of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the weight, and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the length of the string affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of the length of the string. This means that as the length of the string increases, the period also increases.

4. How does the mass of the weight affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The mass of the weight has no effect on the period of a simple pendulum. This is because the force of gravity on the weight is balanced by the tension in the string, regardless of the weight's mass.

5. How does the acceleration due to gravity affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of the acceleration due to gravity. This means that as the acceleration due to gravity increases, the period decreases. This is why a pendulum on Earth will have a different period than a pendulum on the moon, where the acceleration due to gravity is lower.