1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple pendulum equations

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1
    A simple pendulum has a period of 2 s for small amplitude oscillations.

1. The length of the pendulum is most nearly
    (A) l/6 m
    (B) ¼ m
    (C) ½ m
    (D) 1 m
    (E) 2 m

I used the period of a pendulum equation, did some algebra, and got D as the answer. Is this correct?

2. Which of the following equations could represent the angle θ that the pendulum makes with the vertical as a function of time t?

(A) θ = θmax sin (π/2)t

(B) θ = θmax sin πt

(C) θ = θmax sin 2πt

(D) θ = θmax sin 4πt

(E) θ = θmax sin 8πt

I don't get this one. I'm assuming it's C because 2π = ω in a lot of equations and maybe it's true here too? Can someone please explain this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. Yes, good.

2. No. One way to think about this is, after one period the argument of the sine should be 2π. And you know what t is after one period.
  4. Dec 17, 2008 #3
    I redid #2 this way.

T = 2π/ω
    Substituted 2s for T and got ω = π

So the answer would be B?
  5. Dec 17, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Apr 27, 2010 #5
    Could someone help me out for #2. I'm not even sure how to approach that part.
  7. May 9, 2010 #6
    bump, please help
  8. May 9, 2010 #7
    They solved it check the previous posts ..
  9. May 9, 2010 #8
    I saw the answer but I didn't understand why they are plugging in T. What exactly is the concept of θ = θmax sin Wt? I've never learned that so I don't know how to manipulate the equation.
  10. May 9, 2010 #9
    you can reach to the equation θ = θmax sin Wt by considering (i.e.) a pendulum of length l and start from newton`s 2nd law which states that net force = m x`` , with little work you will end up with the solution θ = θmax sin Wt, where W = sqrt(g/l) ..

you can approach the same answer by substituting l = 1m, g=10m/s^2 in W , then you will get W = 3.16 for g = 10m/s^2 (or W=3.13 for g=9.8 m/s^2) which is approximately equal to the answer they reached .. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?