1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple pendulum graph

1. Apr 27, 2014 #1
    As part of a Physics experiment I have to investigate how the amplitude of a pendulum bob (attached to a string) varies with the number of oscillations it undergoes. The equation I have to work with is:

cvpv.png

(where t = the number of swings, A = amplitude after t swings, A0 = initial amplitude and k = the damping constant)

sssssqcq.png

Am I correct in saying that ln(A/A0) would be the label on the y-axis and t would be the label of the x-axis?

IF yes, this would suggest that at the y-intercept , ln(A/A0) = lnA0 which suggests that at the y-intercept (where t=0) A = (A0^2). Is this correct?

Lastly, I am required to find the uncertainty in k by sketching the above graph and using error bars. I am unsure of how to go about this?

Briefing sheet:

http://photouploads.com/images/dzvsv.png
    (PS:in the above document, 'n' is used to represent the number of swings rather than 't')

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... this would be a damped pendulum - not a simple pendulum.

If you plot ##\ln (A/A_0)## vs ##t## then yes.
    Presumably you want to get a straight line?
    Did you try it and see what you get?

(Experiments are about dealing with the data you have and not about trying to conform to an expected result: do it and see.)

No.
    Check your algebra. How does the RHS go from the ##\ln A## above to ##\ln (A/A_0)##?

You may be better to just plot ##\ln(A)## vs ##t## instead.

You know the errors for the measurements you made - use them to calculate the errors on the numbers you are plotting.
    (Hint: if the error in y is small compared to the error in x, you can eave it off.)

Your course will probably have a specific method they want you to use to convert error bars into an overall uncertainty - check your notes.

4. Apr 27, 2014 #3
    Ah sorry. That's what I meant :)!

Yes I want to get a straight line. I was thinking of plotting lnA against t but then the y-axis (lnA) would have units and I thought log graphs are not meant to have units? Hence why I decided to plot ##\ln (A/A_0)## vs ##t##.

Well this is what I did (I can't see what I wrong?):

SwoPKD2l.jpg

Thanks

5. Apr 27, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

when you change what you plot, you have to redo the y=mx+c step.
    off y=mx+c, show me how you decided
    y=
    x=
    m=
    c=

... this is missing from your calculation pictured.

note: A/Ao is the size of A measured in units of Ao ... i.e. you still have units.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with a log plot having units/dimensions on both axis, but it is tidier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted