Simple Pendulum Period Calculation for Different Conditions

In summary: When the length is doubled, the equation becomes:T = 2π (g/2l)1/2So the period will indeed increase when the length is doubled.On the other planet, the value of g is different, so the equation becomes:T = 2π (16/2l)1/2This means that the period will be different on the other planet compared to Earth.
mrnastytime

Homework Statement

A pendulum has a period of 1.8 s.

Homework Equations

Its length is doubled. What is its period now?

The original pendulum is taken to a planet where g = 16 m/s2.
What is its period on that planet?

The Attempt at a Solution

T=2pi sqrt(L/g)
1.8=2pi sqrt(2L/g)

I don't what I am suppose to solve for. This looks like a very simple problem, but i can't seem to figure it out. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Physics news on Phys.org
mrnastytime said:

Homework Statement

A pendulum has a period of 1.8 s.

Homework Equations

Its length is doubled. What is its period now?

The original pendulum is taken to a planet where g = 16 m/s2.
What is its period on that planet?

The Attempt at a Solution

T=2pi sqrt(L/g)
1.8=2pi sqrt(2L/g)

I don't what I am suppose to solve for. This looks like a very simple problem, but i can't seem to figure it out. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Well your equations are almost right, but they asked what happens to T when you double L. Presumably 1.8 s is what it is when l = L and they want to know what T is when l = 2L.

What is I?...if the length is doubled, shouldn't the time increase? but how would i interpret that on paper with the given equation?

mrnastytime said:
What is I?...if the length is doubled, shouldn't the time increase? but how would i interpret that on paper with the given equation?

Not I, little L.

The variable l, in the equation you wrote

T = 2π (g/l)1/2

1. What is a simple pendulum and how does it work?

A simple pendulum is a weight (known as a bob) attached to a string or rod, suspended from a fixed point. When the bob is pulled to one side and released, it will swing back and forth in a regular pattern known as oscillation. This motion is due to the force of gravity acting on the bob, causing it to constantly change direction as it swings.

2. What is the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is the time it takes for the bob to complete one full swing, from one side to the other and back again. It is typically measured in seconds.

3. What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the string or rod, the mass of the bob, and the gravitational acceleration of the environment it is in. The period is longer for longer lengths, heavier bobs, and higher gravity.

4. How is the period of a simple pendulum calculated?

The period of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(l/g), where T is the period in seconds, l is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the gravitational acceleration in meters per second squared.

5. What are some real-life applications of a simple pendulum?

Simple pendulums are used in many devices, such as clocks, metronomes, and seismometers. They are also used in scientific experiments to measure the effects of gravity and to study the properties of oscillation and resonance.