1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Pendulum Problem? What is the speed of the hanging mass at its lowest position

1. Nov 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A simple pendulum consists of a bob of mass 1.8kg attached to a string of length 2.3m. The pendulum is held at an angle of 30° from the vertical by a light horizontal string attached to a wall. If the horizontal string is cut close to the bob and the pendulum swings down, what is the speed of the bob at its lowest point.

The exact problem can be seen here. Its problem 2c. http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/ap/students/physics/ap05_frq_physics_b.pdf

The weight of the bob is 17.64N. The tension in the horizontal string is 10.18N. The tension in the 2.3m string is 20.36N.

2. Relevant equations
    The relevent equations are all at the top of the pdf given in the link. This is a AP Physics B problem so calculus isnt allowed.

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempts all involve me attempting to find the time to swing or the angular acceleration which I can not find. Im not sure if the angular acceleration or the tangential acceleration is zero at the bottom of the swing.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2011 #2
    Re: Simple Pendulum Problem? What is the speed of the hanging mass at its lowest posi

Consider conservation of energy.

4. Nov 24, 2011 #3
    Re: Simple Pendulum Problem? What is the speed of the hanging mass at its lowest posi

I cant use that because we havent learned it yet.

5. Nov 24, 2011 #4

The only other way is to find the acceleration of the bob and integrate. But you say calculus isn't allowed.

6. Nov 25, 2011 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then you can't solve this problem -- yet. But since conservation of energy is part of the AP Physics B curriculum, then it is totally fair to expect students to use that method to solve this problem.

It is pretty clear to people familiar with the AP Physics B curriculum that conservation of energy is the way to solve problem 2c.

p.s. welcome to Physics Forums, janman751

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook