1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple Pendulum Problem

1. Jan 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I searched and got nothing, I am also new here as my friend recently introduced me to this forum last night. I have gotten every single problem correct except this one so here goes:

A 300 g mass on a 1.0 m long string is pulled 8.8° to one side and released. How long does it take for the pendulum to reach 4.4° on the opposite side?

I only have one more try or else i lose all my credit (webassign ah) but any help is appreciated. Thank you!

2. Relevant equations

T = 2*pi*sqrt(L/g)
    3T/4 = answer

3. The attempt at a solution

T= 2*pi*sqrt(1.0/9.81)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2010 #2
    Why do you say 3T/4 is the answer? From a rational standpoint, it will take less than T/2 to get to 4.4 degrees - its halfway point - since its average speed is greater than going from 4.4 to 8.8 degrees...it will take T/4 to get to equilibrium from its initial position., for sure, but from there you can't use ratios.

4. Jan 27, 2010 #3
    Yeah I suppose that my submission really doesn't make sense at all. But it was my last problem it's been a long day.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook