Simple Pendulum Project: Amplitude's Effect on Period | Math Help Included

In summary, the conversation was about a project involving a simple pendulum and its relationship between changing amplitude and period. The person was unsure of what to show in their data and was considering using the equation T=sqrt(mgh/I). They also discussed the possibility of investigating when the low-amplitude approximation breaks down, but were concerned about accuracy and measuring time. They also mentioned the effect of air resistance on the pendulum's energy. One idea for the experiment was to measure the amplitude after one minute to observe any changes.
asadpasat
nee help with project dealing with simple pendulum.I am supposed to be looking at the effect of changing the amplitude and how it affects the period. The requirements want to show some math( it does not include finding average and error). Need help. what could I show there. Like the time to complete the period will be alway same. HELP

Physics news on Phys.org
Try googling for "simple pendulum", see what you find. We can help through any parts where you're having trouble.

Nugatory said:
Try googling for "simple pendulum", see what you find. We can help through any parts where you're having trouble.
I was thinking of using the T=sqrt(mgh/I), but my concern is that I would just be proving my data and nothing more

asadpasat said:
I was thinking of using the T=sqrt(mgh/I), but my concern is that I would just be proving my data and nothing more
Well, if you're looking for something more challenging, you could try investigating when the low-amplitude approximation starts to break down.

Nugatory said:
Well, if you're looking for something more challenging, you could try investigating when the low-amplitude approximation starts to break down.
I was thinking about that but it would be pretty hard to do as my pendulum is not that accurate. What I mean is that the equation T=sqrt(mgh/I) has less that 1 precent error for angles less that 22, which would be really hard hard to measure for me.
Also, i do not have such a accurate time measurment device( i am using stopwatch)

When they said that
gif.latex?T%20%3D%202%5Cpi%5Csqrt%7B%5Cfrac%7Bl%7D%7Bg%7D%7D.gif

It was when you ignore loss of Energy,
In Real life you have Air resistance dude to which you lose Energy,
But if you don't have that Loss, The Pendulum will continue forever... Because of First Law of Motion

Anyways I got an Idea for you
You should do an experiment where you see how much energy , Here is how its mentioned in our textbook
xofd8Er.png

IcJNQr2.png

sQvMdki.png

The total energy of the bob of a simple pendulum executing simple harmonic motion, :
gif.gif
OR ANOTHER WAY HERE :
Setup :
2TrBT2M.png

You also need a stopwatch
Procedure :

Set the Pendulum to oscillate with suitable amplitude, and simultaneously start the stopwatch (make sure to get one)
Note down the Amplitude after every one minute

Observation Table :

kjqmqiO.png

Why A2 -> Because if you plot a Graph of A2 vs T, You'll get it

Theory : The Energy of a Particle performing SHM is given as :
gif.gif

Which means E is Directly proportional to A square

Hope It helped ,
Regards

What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight or mass suspended from a fixed point by a string or rod. It is used to demonstrate the concept of periodic motion, where the pendulum swings back and forth with a constant period.

What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the weight, and the acceleration due to gravity. The period is longer for longer strings, heavier weights, and higher acceleration due to gravity.

How do you calculate the period of a simple pendulum?

The period of a simple pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the string, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes small angles of oscillation (less than 15 degrees).

What is the purpose of a simple pendulum project?

The purpose of a simple pendulum project is to demonstrate the principles of physics and periodic motion in a hands-on and visual way. It can also be used to investigate how different factors affect the period of a pendulum, and to practice data collection and analysis skills.

What are some potential sources of error in a simple pendulum project?

Potential sources of error in a simple pendulum project include human error in measuring the length of the string, inaccuracies in timing the period, and external factors such as air resistance. These errors can affect the accuracy of the calculated period and should be minimized through careful measurement and repeated trials.