Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple pendulum project

1. Nov 29, 2014 #1
    nee help with project dealing with simple pendulum.I am supposed to be looking at the effect of changing the amplitude and how it affects the period. The requirements want to show some math( it does not include finding average and error). Need help. what could I show there. Like the time to complete the period will be alway same. HELP

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2014 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Try googling for "simple pendulum", see what you find. We can help through any parts where you're having trouble.

4. Nov 29, 2014 #3
    I was thinking of using the T=sqrt(mgh/I), but my concern is that I would just be proving my data and nothing more

5. Nov 29, 2014 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Well, if you're looking for something more challenging, you could try investigating when the low-amplitude approximation starts to break down.

6. Nov 29, 2014 #5
    I was thinking about that but it would be pretty hard to do as my pendulum is not that accurate. What I mean is that the equation T=sqrt(mgh/I) has less that 1 precent error for angles less that 22, which would be really hard hard to measure for me.
    Also, i do not have such a accurate time measurment device( i am using stopwatch)

7. Nov 29, 2014 #6
    When they said that gif.latex?T%20%3D%202%5Cpi%5Csqrt%7B%5Cfrac%7Bl%7D%7Bg%7D%7D.gif
    It was when you ignore loss of Energy,
    In Real life you have Air resistance dude to which you lose Energy,
    But if you dont have that Loss, The Pendulum will continue forever... Because of First Law of Motion

Anyways I got an Idea for you
    You should do an experiment where you see how much energy , Here is how its mentioned in our textbook
    xofd8Er.png
    IcJNQr2.png

sQvMdki.png
    The total energy of the bob of a simple pendulum executing simple harmonic motion, :
    gif.gif

OR ANOTHER WAY HERE :
    Setup :
    2TrBT2M.png
    You also need a stopwatch
    Procedure :

Set the Pendulum to oscillate with suitable amplitude, and simultaneously start the stopwatch (make sure to get one)
    Note down the Amplitude after every one minute

Observation Table :

kjqmqiO.png
    Why A2 -> Because if you plot a Graph of A2 vs T, You'll get it

Theory : The Energy of a Particle performing SHM is given as :
    gif.gif
    Which means E is Directly proportional to A square

Hope It helped ,
    Regards

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook