1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Pendulum

1. Apr 28, 2009 #1
    I am working on my lab report for the simple pendulum and we did an experiment where we increased the max theta in increments of 5 degrees, while keeping the length of the sting the same. We started from 5 degrees and went to 45 degrees. For some reason the periods seem to increase slighty as we increase the max theta. I am just wondering if this is due to the drag force or if it our mistake. I think that we should have the same period independent of the angle because we were told that T=2π √(L/g) and even proved this. Since the period, T is dependent on the free fall accelleration and the length of the string, which does not change throughout our experiment, shouldnt the period for all max angles be the same? I am guessing that air resistance comes into play, but I am not sure how. We haven't learned that yet and since this is my first physics class ever and I am very stumped. Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The period of a simple pendulum is independent of amplitude for small amplitudes. Recall that the derivation of the pendulum formula uses the small angle approximation sinθ ≈ θ (radian measure, of course). As the amplitude increases, you'll get a greater period. (And I suppose air resistance will have a greater effect as well.)

Read this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pendl.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Apr 28, 2009 #3
    Thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook