1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple physics problem

1. Jan 30, 2007 #1
    Three forces act on a particle that moves with a constant velocity v = (2 m/s) x - (7 m/s) y. Two of the forces acting on this particle are F1 = (-9 N) x + (10 N) y + (2 N) z and F2 = (6 N) x + (1 N) y + (9 N) z. What is the magnitude of the third force?

so what i was trying to do is take the f1z component and the f2z compoment and finnding the magnitude by doing squroot(9^2+2^2)....but that is not how you do it...

can someone please point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

First find the components of the third force, considering that the net force on the particle must be zero.

4. Jan 30, 2007 #3
    so if the net force does not change the velocity then f1 and f2 should yeild 0 right?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  5. Jan 30, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. You need to find the components of the third force; F3. Since the acceleration is zero in each direction, you know that the sum of the components of the forces in each direction must be zero; i.e. f1x+f2x+f3x=0... etc.

6. Jan 30, 2007 #5
    so how would i go about doing this.... f1 and f2 should be equal right? um...so the magnitude of f3 should make be the variable that makes f1 and f2 =0 right?

7. Jan 30, 2007 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Don't think about the magnitude yet. f1 and f2 are not equal; you are given the values of them. Set up three equations, f1x+f2x+f3x=0, and the other similar two. Then you know the values for f1x and f2x, and so obtain -9+6+f3x=0. This will give you the x component of f3. Use similar equations for the y and z components.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?