Simple physics problem

• Thread starter Rasine
  • Start date
Three forces act on a particle that moves with a constant velocity v = (2 m/s) x - (7 m/s) y. Two of the forces acting on this particle are F1 = (-9 N) x + (10 N) y + (2 N) z and F2 = (6 N) x + (1 N) y + (9 N) z. What is the magnitude of the third force?

so what i was trying to do is take the f1z component and the f2z compoment and finnding the magnitude by doing squroot(9^2+2^2)....but that is not how you do it...

can someone please point me in the right direction?

Answers and Replies

Doc Al
Mentor
First find the components of the third force, considering that the net force on the particle must be zero.

so if the net force does not change the velocity then f1 and f2 should yeild 0 right?

Last edited:
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
No. You need to find the components of the third force; F3. Since the acceleration is zero in each direction, you know that the sum of the components of the forces in each direction must be zero; i.e. f1x+f2x+f3x=0... etc.

so how would i go about doing this.... f1 and f2 should be equal right? um...so the magnitude of f3 should make be the variable that makes f1 and f2 =0 right?

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Don't think about the magnitude yet. f1 and f2 are not equal; you are given the values of them. Set up three equations, f1x+f2x+f3x=0, and the other similar two. Then you know the values for f1x and f2x, and so obtain -9+6+f3x=0. This will give you the x component of f3. Use similar equations for the y and z components.