Calculating Laser Beam Power and Wave Crests per Second at 632.8nm Wavelength

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, to find the number of wave crests per second passing through any point in the laser beam, you need to use the formula f=c/λ, where c is the speed of light and λ is the wavelength. By plugging in the given values, we can calculate the frequency, which is the number of wave crests per second. However, there seems to be some confusion about the terms used in the conversation, such as "energy per photon" and "energy per second". Clarification may be needed in order to fully understand the problem and its solution.
stunner5000pt
A laser emits light at a wavelength of 632.8nm. The laser beams power is 1.0mW. Find the number of wave crests per second passing through nay point in the beam.

so f = [tex] \frac{c}{\lambda} = 2.1 * 10^ -15 [/tex]

(while you're at it tell me what's wrong with my code too, please)

f = c /lambda = 2.1x 10^-15 Hz

so then i know the frequency and the inverse of this is the period. The number of crests per second is the period (?) so the frequency gives the number of crests per second??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi stunner,

Use a slash instead of a backslash: [/tex], instead of [\tex]

You know the power, which is the energy per second passing by.
You know the energy of a single photon (??wave crests??) from [itex]E=h\nu[/itex].
Hope this is the info you need and may use.

Galileo said:
Hi stunner,

Use a slash instead of a backslash: [/tex], instead of [\tex]

You know the power, which is the energy per second passing by.
You know the energy of a single photon (??wave crests??) from [itex]E=h\nu[/itex].
Hope this is the info you need and may use.

SO since P = E / t which is PER second and hf would give the energy per second.

So HF is the number of photons (crests) passing throiugh the beam at one second?

Am i right here? Or have i misinterpreted something

P (power) is energy per second (given).
hf is the energy per photon (given).
So the number of photons passing by per second is...

1. What is the definition of simple physics?

Simple physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of basic concepts and principles of motion, energy, and matter.

2. What are some examples of simple physics phenomena?

Examples of simple physics phenomena include the movement of objects, the transfer of energy, the behavior of light and sound, and the forces acting on objects.

3. How is simple physics different from advanced physics?

Simple physics focuses on the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of objects, while advanced physics delves into more complex phenomena and theories such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

4. What are the main principles of simple physics?

The main principles of simple physics include Newton's laws of motion, the law of conservation of energy, and the law of conservation of mass.

5. How is simple physics applicable in everyday life?

Simple physics is applicable in everyday life in various ways, such as understanding how objects move, the effects of gravity, and the energy transformations that occur in daily activities like walking, cooking, and driving. It also helps in the design and functioning of common household items like appliances and vehicles.