Calculating Appliance Energy Costs: Wattage vs. Voltage

• Thread starter saschouch
  • Start date
In summary, In order to calculate how much it would cost to run an appliance for a certain amount of time per month, you would need to know the wattage of the appliance, correct? Voltage does not need to be known, as long as the wattage is in kW. For some reason, my calculation for the cost of running my amp for one hour resulted in an outrageous amount, but luckily someone was able to help me out.
saschouch
Now, I think i know how to do this one, but I'm just not sure if I'm using the correct figures. To figure out how much it would cost to run an appliance for a certain amount of time per month, you would need to know the wattage of the appliance, correct? Does voltage need to be known? For example, a guitar amplifier puts out 120 Watts, and is 250 Volts. I tried to use just the wattage, converted to kW, and multiply by 3600 to get kW/hrs. For some reason, I got outrageous numbers for the amount of $ it costs. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong? By the way, power costs $.075 per kW/hr.

Physics news on Phys.org
You also need to divide the wattage by 1000 so that you have kilowatts. The voltage doesn't matter, it's already been taken account of in the calculation of the wattage.

As an aside, often devices are labeled with what their maximum power consumption is, i.e. your amp won't be sucking up a full 120 watts if it's just sitting there with the power on but you're not playing anything on your guitar.

Edit: Sorry, you said that you had converted to kW in doing your calculation. I get 0.25 kWh * $0.75 / kWh ~= 19 cents per hour to run your amp at its maximum power consumption. That doesn't sound so bad, I think.

Edit2: Heh, the corrections just keep coming :wink: Your problem is likely related to the fact that you're multiplying by 3600 (= number of seconds in an hour, I suppose was your reasoning) to get the kWh. You actually should be multiplying by 1 = number of hours in an hour.

Last edited:
Ok. I see now. So if at maximum output, it's .12 kW, then take that times 60 times 60 again to get hours, i have an answer of 432. So that's in kW/hrs. then taking that times my $.075 will get how much it costs to run my amp for 1 hour. Thanks.

See my second edit, you should be multiplying by hours and not seconds.

yes! Thanks a ton!

1. What is the difference between power and energy?

Power is the rate at which energy is used or transferred, while energy is the ability to do work. In simple terms, power is how fast something is using energy, while energy is the amount of work that can be done.

2. How is power measured?

Power is typically measured in watts (W), which is a unit of energy per unit of time. For example, a 100-watt light bulb uses 100 joules of energy every second.

3. What factors affect power and energy consumption?

The amount of power and energy consumed depends on various factors including the type of device or system, the efficiency of the device, and the duration of use. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and altitude can also affect power and energy consumption.

4. Can energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

5. How can we reduce our energy consumption?

There are several ways to reduce energy consumption, including using energy-efficient appliances, turning off electronics when not in use, using natural light instead of artificial light, and properly insulating buildings to reduce heating and cooling needs.