Calculating Average Power for a Model Train Accelerating from Rest

• Thread starter ~christina~
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation discussed a solved problem involving finding the average power delivered to a model train during its acceleration. The solution used energy conservation to find the final kinetic energy of the train and then calculated the power using the formula P = Wnet/Δt. The final answer was 8.01W, which may seem small due to the fact that it is a model train. The conversation also clarified that there was no need to compute the acceleration since energy conservation was used.
~christina~
Gold Member
[SOLVED] simple POWer question

Homework Statement

The electric motor of a model train accelerates the train from rest to 0.620m/s in 21.0ms. Total mass of train 875g.

Find the average power delivered to the train during the acceleration.

Homework Equations

[tex]P_{av}= W_{net}/ \Delta t [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well..I'm not sure if this is correct...

[tex] W_{net} = K_f- K_i= \Delta K [/tex] ===> I think this is correct but not sure..

using that..

[tex]1/2 mv_f^2 - 1/2 mv_i^2 = 0 [/tex]

vi= 0

[tex] 1/2 mv_f^2= 0 [/tex]

[tex]1/2(.875kg)(0.620m/s)^2 = .1682J[/tex]

P= 0.1682J/ 0.021s= 8.01W====> this seems pretty small but then again it's a model train..is this correct or did I miss something?

I need to know if the way I did the question was correct since they mention acceleration but I'm not sure how would I apply that if I need to at all.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
That's right. You used energy conservation, so you don't need to compute the acceleration etc.

Oh..okay then Thanks Dick :smile:

1. What is a "Simple POWer question"?

A "Simple POWer question" is a type of question that is designed to elicit a simple and direct response from a person. It is often used in research and scientific studies to gather specific data or information.

2. How is a "Simple POWer question" different from other types of questions?

Unlike open-ended questions that allow for a variety of responses, "Simple POWer questions" are closed-ended and typically have a limited number of response options. This allows for easier data analysis and comparison.

3. When is it appropriate to use a "Simple POWer question"?

"Simple POWer questions" are useful when conducting surveys or experiments, as they can quickly and efficiently gather specific information from a large number of participants. They are also helpful in situations where time and resources are limited.

4. How do you create effective "Simple POWer questions"?

To create effective "Simple POWer questions", it is important to keep the question short, direct, and easy to understand. The response options should also be clear and mutually exclusive. It is also helpful to pilot test the questions to ensure they are providing the desired information.

5. What are some examples of "Simple POWer questions"?

Examples of "Simple POWer questions" include yes or no questions, multiple choice questions, and rating scale questions. For example, "Do you prefer coffee or tea?", "How often do you exercise per week?", or "On a scale of 1-5, how satisfied are you with your job?"