How Often Would a Biased Coin Show Consecutive Heads in 5000 Flips?

• Thread starter R.Clearwater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the individual has previously posted a question on this forum and is looking for someone to help them calculate the odds of getting a specific number of heads in a row when flipping a coin that lands on heads 80% of the time. They have requested for someone to show them how to calculate this and have been reminded to show their own work.
R.Clearwater
I posted this question a couple time and may not have explained right.
There is a lot of mathematically talented people on this site unfortunately i am
not one of them...I would appreciate if someone could please answer this for me.

Imagine there was a coin that was heavier on the heads side on landed on
heads 80% of the time and 20% of the time

If I flipped that coin 5,000 times how many time would i get

20 heads in a row ?

10 heads in a row ?

5 heads in a row ?

Can anyone show me how to calculate this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the odds of getting one head? What are the odds of that happening 5 times in a row?

You need to show at least SOME work, otherwise you are just asking us to solve the problem for you and that's not how this forum works. Check the rules on posting homework.

You repeated the question. I answered it for the other entry.

I just noticed this is your third attempt - I think you should look at the responses to the others.

Last edited:

1. What is simple probability?

Simple probability is a mathematical concept that measures the likelihood of an event occurring based on the number of possible outcomes. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. How do I calculate simple probability?

To calculate simple probability, you divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be written as P(event) = number of favorable outcomes / total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you want to calculate the probability of rolling a 6 on a standard die, you would divide 1 (the number of favorable outcomes) by 6 (the total number of possible outcomes), giving you a probability of 1/6 or 0.1667.

3. What is the difference between simple probability and compound probability?

Simple probability involves only one event, while compound probability involves two or more events occurring together. Simple probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes, while compound probability is calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities of each event.

4. Can simple probability be used to predict the future?

No, simple probability cannot be used to predict the future with certainty. It can only provide a measure of likelihood based on past events. The outcome of any event is always subject to chance and other unpredictable factors.

5. How is simple probability used in real life?

Simple probability is used in a variety of fields, including statistics, economics, and engineering. It is used to make predictions and inform decision-making in situations where there is uncertainty and multiple possible outcomes. For example, insurance companies use simple probability to calculate premiums based on the likelihood of certain events occurring.