What is the Probability of Drawing Certain Numbers from a Bag of Counters?

In summary, Mo is struggling with a probability question involving counters and sample spaces. They have found two different methods to solve the problem, both resulting in the answer of 1/5. However, they are unsure which method is correct and seek clarification from the expert.
Mo
I absolutely hate stats! its got to be one of the worst topics going.Anyway here is the (simple) question i am having (lots) of problems with! (im revising over and can't remember a thing!)

"In each of the following questions, list a sample space consisting of equally likely outcomes and hence find the required probabilities"

1) There are 5 counters in a bag, each marked with a different number from the set {1,2,3,4,5} .Two counters are drawn from the bag,Find the probabaility the total score on the counters is

a) greater than 7
b) a prime number*
c) an odd number*

I made up a sample space diagram and i find out that out of 20 possible outcomes, 4 added up to be greater than 7. So my answer was 1/5

However i reread it and i done it through another way ... i said:

p(grater than 7) is the probabaility we get... p(3,5) + p(5,3) + p(4,5) + p(5,4)

(ok so this is essentially the same) BUT the probability of getting a 3 is 1/5 right? so we get (1/5 X 1/5) X 4 = 4/25

so ... which one i correct?

Please, please help!

Regrads
Mo

* i think ill attempt these again once i know the answer for this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mo said:
I made up a sample space diagram and i find out that out of 20 possible outcomes, 4 added up to be greater than 7. So my answer was 1/5
That's correct. It was unnecessary to consider (3,5) different from (5,3) though. There are [itex]{5 \choose 2} = 10[/itex] ways of picking two counters and only (3,5) and (4,5) give a sum greater than 7. So the prob. is 1/5.
Same answer and both methods are valid.

p(grater than 7) is the probabaility we get... p(3,5) + p(5,3) + p(4,5) + p(5,4)

(ok so this is essentially the same) BUT the probability of getting a 3 is 1/5 right? so we get (1/5 X 1/5) X 4 = 4/25

Remember that once you have taken a counter (say 3) out of the bag there are 4 left. So the probability of picking the 5 after you've taken the 3 is not 1/5, but 1/4.

Last edited:
thank you Galileo!

Regards,
Relieved - Mo

What is simple probability?

Simple probability refers to the likelihood or chance of a particular event occurring. It is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes.

How is simple probability different from conditional probability?

Simple probability deals with the likelihood of an event occurring without any prior knowledge, while conditional probability takes into account additional information or conditions that may affect the outcome.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. On the other hand, experimental probability is based on observed data and reflects the actual outcomes of an experiment.

How do you calculate the probability of multiple independent events?

To calculate the probability of multiple independent events occurring, you can multiply the probabilities of each event together. For example, if there is a 1/4 chance of event A occurring and a 1/3 chance of event B occurring, the probability of both events occurring is 1/4 x 1/3 = 1/12.

What are some real-life examples of simple probability?

Simple probability can be seen in everyday situations such as flipping a coin, rolling a die, or drawing a card from a deck. It can also be used to predict the chances of winning a game of chance or the likelihood of certain outcomes in sports or weather forecasting.