1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple probability question

1. Jan 11, 2005 #1

Mo

I absolutely hate stats! its got to be one of the worst topics going.Anyway here is the (simple) question i am having (lots) of problems with! (im revising over and cant remember a thing!)

"In each of the following questions, list a sample space consisting of equally likely outcomes and hence find the required probabilities"

1) There are 5 counters in a bag, each marked with a different number from the set {1,2,3,4,5} .Two counters are drawn from the bag,Find the probabaility the total score on the counters is

a) greater than 7
    b) a prime number*
    c) an odd number*

I made up a sample space diagram and i find out that out of 20 possible outcomes, 4 added up to be greater than 7. So my answer was 1/5

However i reread it and i done it through another way ... i said:

p(grater than 7) is the probabaility we get... p(3,5) + p(5,3) + p(4,5) + p(5,4)

(ok so this is essentially the same) BUT the probability of getting a 3 is 1/5 right? so we get (1/5 X 1/5) X 4 = 4/25

so ... which one i correct?

Please, please help!

Regrads
    Mo

* i think ill attempt these again once i know the answer for this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's correct. It was unnecessary to consider (3,5) different from (5,3) though. There are [itex]{5 \choose 2} = 10[/itex] ways of picking two counters and only (3,5) and (4,5) give a sum greater than 7. So the prob. is 1/5.
    Same answer and both methods are valid.

Remember that once you have taken a counter (say 3) out of the bag there are 4 left. So the probability of picking the 5 after you've taken the 3 is not 1/5, but 1/4.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  4. Jan 11, 2005 #3

Mo

thank you Galileo!

Regards,
    Relieved - Mo

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?