Evaluating the Probability Formula for Electric Car Charging Events

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper that calculates the probability of an electric car re-charging based on recorded data of charge events and trip events. The author uses a formula to calculate the probability of charging, but the question arises as to why the formula divides by the number of trip events instead of just the total number of charge events. The discrepancy between the text and formula is noted and alternative formulas are suggested.
bradyj7
Hi,

I'm reading a paper which calculates the probability of an electric car re-charging. Data has been recorded from a car. There are 2 types of events, a charge event and a Trip (journey) event. The State of charge of the battery (SOC) was recorded at the start of each event. For example a journey started with 50% SOC or charge event started with a 10% SOC.

The charge shows (1) the frequency of trip and charge events for each SOC and (2) The author calculates the 'probability of charging' (the line on the graph) for each state of charge bin according to the formula below.

My question is,

(1) Does that formula make sense? Why would you divide by the number of trip events?

(2) Does the text and formula contradict each other as the text says

"The probability of a vehicle undergoing a charge event is calculated by proportion ofthe total number ofcharge events at each starting State of Charge (SoC) as a function of all charging events. "

but the formula divides by the number of trip events.

Appreciate any comments

Thank you

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54057365/All/prob.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I though the formula would be, sum(charge_events) / (sum(charge_events)+sum(drive_event)),

but when I use this formula the probability does not sum to 1. Here is my data

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54057365/All/data.JPG

I would be grateful for any comments.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

What is simple probability?

Simple probability is a measure of the likelihood of a certain event occurring. It is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes.

How is simple probability different from other types of probability?

Simple probability only takes into account one event and its possible outcomes, while other types of probability, such as compound probability, consider multiple events and their outcomes.

How do you calculate simple probability?

To calculate simple probability, you need to determine the number of favorable outcomes, which are the outcomes that match the event you are interested in, and divide it by the total number of possible outcomes.

What is the range of values for simple probability?

The range of values for simple probability is between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

What are some real-world applications of simple probability?

Simple probability is used in various fields such as finance, insurance, and sports to make predictions and informed decisions. For example, insurance companies use simple probability to determine the likelihood of an event, such as a car accident, and adjust premiums accordingly.