1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple problem - contracting tensors

1. Aug 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello guys, hope you'll help me out with this!!
    I'm asked to calculate [tex]g^{\alpha\beta}g^{\sigma\rho}(g_{\alpha\sigma}g_{\beta\rho}-g_{\alpha\rho}g_{\beta\sigma})[/tex]
    where g is the metric tensor on a n-dimensional manifold but I can't get to the right result, i keep on getting zero!! (i know that's wrong although i dont know the exact solution -sorry- but it should depend on the dimension of the manifold)

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, i contracted firs with respect to [itex]g^{\sigma\rho}[/itex] and i end up with [tex]g^{\alpha\beta}(g_{alpha\beta}+g_{alpha\beta}-g_{alpha\beta}-g_{alpha\beta})[/tex]which obviously vanish.
    I must be missing something!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2011 #2

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Are you so sure it's zero? Let's look at the first factor:
    [tex]
    g^{\alpha\beta}g^{\sigma\rho}g_{\alpha\sigma}g_{ \beta\rho}=g^{\alpha\beta}(g^{\sigma\rho}g_{\alpha\sigma})g_{\beta\rho}=g^{\alpha\beta}\delta^{\rho}_{\alpha}g_{\beta\rho}=g^{\rho\beta}g_{\beta\rho}=\delta^{\rho}_{\rho}=n
    [/tex]
    What is the other factor?

4. Aug 17, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the answer hunt_mat but... I keep on getting zero!!

That's becaouse contracting the second factor like you did for the first i get
    [tex]-g^{\alpha\beta} g^{\sigma\rho}g_{\alpha\rho}g_{\beta\sigma}=-g^{\alpha\beta} (g^{\sigma\rho}g_{\alpha\rho})g_{\beta\sigma}=-g^{\alpha\beta} \delta^{\sigma}_{\alpha}g_{\beta\sigma}=-g^{\sigma\beta}g_{\beta\sigma}=-n[/tex]

which added to the first factor gives zero!
    They seems equal to me, becaouse when i get the kronecker delta it doesent matter which index it has, it will be a mute index anyhow! (maybe the error is here?)

where am i mistaking?

5. Aug 17, 2011 #4

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

I don't think that you're making a mistake at all, I think the answer really is zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook