How Strong is the Gravitational Field on a Neutron Star's Surface?

In summary, the gravitational field at the surface of a neutron star whose mass is 1.80 times the mass of the Sun and whose radius is 9.3 km is 2748510000000 m/s^2.
skydiver

Homework Statement

What is the magnitude of the gravitational field at the surface of a neutron star whose mass is 1.80 times the mass of the Sun and whose radius is 9.3 km?

Homework Equations

g = GM/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

G is ofcourse 6.67x10^-11
r^2 is 8.649x10^7 m

Now I don't know what to take as mass. I took just 1.8 and it didn't work. I just took the mass of sun as 1.9x10^30kg and it didn't work and I also tried the product of those two.
What am I missing?
Okay I tried all I could but I am now stuck. Can someone help me. Thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
It appears you have everything you need. If the nuetrons star's mass is 1.8 times the suns, you should just times the suns mass by 1.8, which it appears you've done.
I would just check everything is in SI units and maybe reread the question.

LBloom said:
It appears you have everything you need. If the nuetrons star's mass is 1.8 times the suns, you should just times the suns mass by 1.8, which it appears you've done.
I would just check everything is in SI units and maybe reread the question.

Thanks, I double checked everything yet nothing seems to work.
Even tried a negative sign in front of all possible answers.

Apparently the STUPID homework system does not recognize x 10^y format yet the only error it gives is incorrect answer.

if you don't mind, can you tell me what you've been getting as the answer? Maybe i can check if its just a computational error
also, it sounds like its a multiple choice qu, so maybe you should check their units too? Not really sure what the problem is.

LBloom said:
if you don't mind, can you tell me what you've been getting as the answer? Maybe i can check if its just a computational error
also, it sounds like its a multiple choice qu, so maybe you should check their units too? Not really sure what the problem is.
We have an online system where you input the answer and it says if it's correct or not. If it's correct you get the points.
2748510000000 m/s^2 is the answer and the system recognized it (ie it's correct)
I was inputting the number as 2.748 x 10^12 and hence the system said incorrect answer which is poor design of the system IMHO

And it's not multiple choice

hmm, i got a similar answer, but i used a different measurement for the sun's mass (through google). I've never used the system you've described, but it might help to try looking up the sun's mass to a greater accuracy. Even if you were to round it, it looks closer to 2x10^30 than 1.9. Other than that, I'm not sure what else there is besides fiddling with the numbers
I'd help you more, but I got to get some sleep, its like 2 in NY. good luck with that system though.

What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is a region in space where a massive object, such as a planet or star, exerts a force on other objects. This force is known as gravity and it is responsible for the motions of objects in space.

How does the strength of a gravitational field vary?

The strength of a gravitational field varies based on the mass and distance of the objects involved. Generally, the greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational field. The strength of a gravitational field also decreases as the distance from the object increases.

What is the equation for calculating the strength of a gravitational field?

The equation for calculating the strength of a gravitational field is F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects involved, and r is the distance between them.

What is the difference between a uniform and non-uniform gravitational field?

A uniform gravitational field is one in which the strength of the gravitational force remains constant at all points. An example of this is the gravitational field near the surface of the Earth. On the other hand, a non-uniform gravitational field is one in which the strength of the gravitational force varies at different points. This can occur near very massive objects, such as black holes.

How is the concept of gravitational field used in practical applications?

The concept of gravitational field is used in many practical applications, such as satellite orbit calculations, space travel, and the design of structures that must withstand gravitational forces. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the motion of celestial bodies and the formation of galaxies.