1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple problems that I cant figure out! HELP

1. Oct 8, 2004 #1
    simple problems that I cant figure out! HELP!!

Hello, first of all, thanks in advance for checking out my thread. below are a short list of some simple problems that should be easy to solve for those of you who frequent this forum. However, I cant seem to figure them out and it is really getting on my nerves. If you have any ideas, i would really appreciate your help. Included with the questions are the numerical answers. As such, I am solely interested in a brief explanation or the steps and formulas required for them. THANKS!

Q) A wire is cut into three equal parts. The resulting segments are then cut into 4,6, and 8 parts respectively. If each of the resulting segments has an integral length, what is the minimum length of the wire?

Q) Oak trees line both sides of a street for a length of (3/8) Km. If there is 16 meters of space between the trees and each tree is 1 meter wide, how many trees are there along the street?

Q) what is the probability of six tails out of nine tosses of a fair coin? (ANS = 21/128)

Q) solve 4 csc2 – 1 = 0 for all values 0 <  < 360. (ANS = {empty})

Q) If the area of an isosceles triangle is 20, then what is its hypotenuse? (ANS = 2x(10^1/2)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. hint: least common multiple

2. hint: account properly for the trees at the ends!

4. Oct 9, 2004 #3
    On the coin toss, if we have 6 tails in 9 tosses, we have an arrangement of tails and heads TTTTTTHHH that could line up in 9!/(6!3!) different ways. (Which is to say they are nine choices for the first place, 8 for the second, etc...but 6 of the choices and 3 of the choices are the same.) The probability of heads is the same as tails 1/2, so that the probability of this event is [tex]\frac{9!}{6!*3!*2^9}[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook