Simple problems that I cant figure out HELP

• Thread starter Frustrated
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the problems are simple but I can't seem to figure them out. If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate your help.
Frustrated
Simple problems that I can't figure out! HELP!

Hello, first of all, thanks in advance for checking out my thread. below are a short list of some simple problems that should be easy to solve for those of you who frequent this forum. However, I can't seem to figure them out and it is really getting on my nerves. If you have any ideas, i would really appreciate your help. Included with the questions are the numerical answers. As such, I am solely interested in the steps and formulas required for them. THANKS!

Q) A hockey stick gives a hockey puck an initial velocity of 12m/s. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.2, how far will the puck travel before stopping? (ANS = 36m)

Q) A uniform 25 kg board is 12m long and has a 50kg weight attached to one end. How far from the weight will be the center of gravity of this system? (ANS = 2)

Q) A block of mass 4 kg rests on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of sliding kinetic friction between the two is 0.2. A string attached to the block is pulled horizontally by a force with an acceleration of 3m/s2. What is the magnitude of this force? (ANS = 20N)

Q) A CD and spindal together have a moment of inertia of 2x10-4kgm2. They rotate with an angular velocity of 4 rad/sec. What is the net torque that must be applied to bring the system to rest within 2 s? (ANS = 4x10-4 Nm)

Q) A 2.0m wire segment carrying current of 0.5A is oriented at an angle of 30o to a uniform magnetic field of 0.5T. What is the magnetic force of the wire? (cos30 = 0.87, sin30 = 0.5) (ANS = 0.5N)

Q) Given the quantum mechanical model of the hydrogen atom, if the orbital quantum number is 4, then how many diff orbital magnetic quantum numbers are permitted? (ANS = 9)

Physics news on Phys.org
Q) A hockey stick gives a hockey puck an initial velocity of 12m/s. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.2, how far will the puck travel before stopping? (ANS = 36m)

Use

[tex] \Delta E = W_{f} [/tex]

Q) A uniform 25 kg board is 12m long and has a 50kg weight attached to one end. How far from the weight will be the center of gravity of this system? (ANS = 2)

Use

[tex] \vec{r}_{cm} = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n} m_{i} \vec{r}_{i}}{\sum_{i=1}^{n} m_{i}} [/tex]

Q) A block of mass 4 kg rests on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of sliding kinetic friction between the two is 0.2. A string attached to the block is pulled horizontally by a force with an acceleration of 3m/s2. What is the magnitude of this force? (ANS = 20N)

Use

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{F}_{i} = m \vec{a} [/tex]

Q) A CD and spindal together have a moment of inertia of 2x10-4kgm2. They rotate with an angular velocity of 4 rad/sec. What is the net torque that must be applied to bring the system to rest within 2 s? (ANS = 4x10-4 Nm)

Use

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{\tau}_{i} = I \vec{\alpha} [/tex]

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{\tau}_{i} = I \frac{d \vec{\omega}}{dt} [/tex]

[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} \vec{\tau}_{i} = I \frac{\Delta \vec{\omega}}{\Delta t} [/tex]

Last edited:
You might also find

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/frict2.html

useful, as it has the formulas and explanation of kinetic and static friction. The formulas are simple though, the frictional force is the normal force multiplied by the appropriate coefficient of friction - static, if the object isn't moving, and kinetic, if the object is moving.

The formulas for static and kinetic friction, plus the concept that work = force * distance, and force = mass * acceleration, should take you a long way to solving these problems.

That last question was a simple one?

A lot of these constant friction problems can be simplified if you use the fact that the rate of decleration from friction is the coefficient timea the acceleration of gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Since the deceleration is constant, the time is takes to stop is the initial speed divided by the rate of decerleration, the average speed is 1/2 the initial speed, and the distance is the time it takes to stop times the average speed.

For the first question, the coefficient is .2, so the rate of deceleration is:

.2 x 9.8m/s^2 = 1.96 m/s^2

The initial velocity is 12 m / s, so the time it takes to stop is:

12 / 1.96 ~= 6.12 s

Average speed with linear deceleration is 1/2 initial speed or:

12 * 1/2 = 6 m / s

So the distance traveled is average speed times the time it took to stop:

6 m / s time 6.12 s ~ 36.7 m.

If the 1.96 is rounded to 2.0, you get 36m.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks guys! Much appreciated!

1. Why can't I figure out simple problems?

There could be a variety of reasons why you are struggling with simple problems. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the underlying concepts, not having enough practice, or not approaching the problem in the right way. It is important to identify the root cause and work on improving your problem-solving skills.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving your problem-solving skills takes time and practice. Some ways to enhance your problem-solving abilities include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, seeking help from others, and practicing regularly. Also, try to approach problems from different perspectives and think outside the box.

3. What should I do when I get stuck on a problem?

When you get stuck on a problem, take a step back and try to identify what part of the problem is causing the difficulty. Then, try to approach the problem from a different angle or ask someone else for help. It is also helpful to take breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.

4. How can I avoid making simple mistakes?

Making simple mistakes is a common issue, especially when solving problems. Some strategies to prevent these mistakes include double-checking your work, asking someone else to review it, and ensuring that you fully understand the problem before attempting to solve it. It is also helpful to take your time and not rush through the problem.

5. What resources can I use to improve my problem-solving skills?

There are many resources available to help improve your problem-solving skills. You can read books or articles on problem-solving techniques, watch online tutorials or lectures, practice with sample problems, and seek help from teachers or tutors. Additionally, there are many problem-solving apps and games that you can use to enhance your skills in a fun and interactive way.