Proving the Inequality (r^2+1)/(r)≤1 for rεQ+: A Simple Proof Help

• Thread starter halo31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: If you dif mean r- (1/r)≤ 1, multiplying through by (positive) r gives r^2- 1≤ r and then "moving everything around" gives r^2- r- 1≤ 0, not r^2- r+ 1≤ 0.for the r- (1/r)≤ 1 i get a hyperbola looking graph
halo31
simple proof help??

Homework Statement

The question states: Let rεQ+ Prove that if (r^2+1)/(r)≤1, then (r^2+2)/(r)≤2.
I wanted to prove it trivially by proving it is true for all Q(x). would this be a correct way?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since (r^2+2)/(r)≤2= (r-1)^2+1≤ 0 it follows (r-1)^2≤-1 for all rεQ+. Therefore (r^2+2)/(r)≤2.

Physics news on Phys.org

The minimum of the function f(r) = (r^2 + 1)/r = r + (1/r) is f_min = 2, at r = 1. So, it is impossible to have f(r) <= 1 with r > 0.

RGV

I realized my mistake you can't prove it trivially. The way I proved it is wrong since (r-1)^2+1≥0 and not ≤0.

why am i getting different graphs when I graph r-(1\r)≤1 and r^2-r+1? I just multiplied through by r and moved everything around but still I am getting different equations.

halo31 said:
why am i getting different graphs when I graph r-(1\r)≤1 and r^2-r+1? I just multiplied through by r and moved everything around but still I am getting different equations.
What do you mean by "r-(1\r)≤1"? there is no "≤" in your second formula. If you dif mean r- (1/r)≤ 1, multiplying through by (positive) r gives r^2- 1≤ r and then "moving everything around" gives r^2- r- 1≤ 0, not r^2- r+ 1≤ 0.

for the r- (1/r)≤ 1 i get a hyperbola looking graph and r^2- r- 1≤ 0 I get a parobla with both being shaded.

halo31 said:
for the r- (1/r)≤ 1 i get a hyperbola looking graph and r^2- r- 1≤ 0 I get a parobla with both being shaded.

So, are we to understand that you really meant (r^2 - 1)/r ≤ 1? You never told us that.

Anyway, assuming that is the case, the inequalities 1 ≥ (r^2-1)/r = r - 1/r and r > 0 give a region along the real r-axis that you can find by plotting y = r - 1/r and seeing where the graph has y ≤ 1. It is true that the graph is like a hyerbola. As you say, you can also multiply through by r and get another inequality r^2 - r ≤ 1, so we can plot y = r^2 - r and see where y ≤ 1. As you rightly say, the graph is a parabola. However, the points r that satisfy these inequalities are exactly the same: both give an interval (0,r0), with the same r0.

RGV

What is the equation for proving the inequality (r^2+1)/(r)≤1?

The equation is (r^2+1)/(r)≤1.

What is the domain and range for r in this inequality?

The domain for r is all positive rational numbers (rεQ+) and the range is all real numbers greater than or equal to 1.

What is the proof for this inequality?

Using algebraic manipulation, we can rewrite the left side of the inequality as r + 1/r. Since r is a positive rational number, we know that r > 0. Therefore, by the AM-GM inequality, we have (r + 1/r)/2 ≥ √(r * 1/r) = 1. Rearranging, we get r + 1/r ≥ 2. This means that (r + 1/r)/2 ≥ 1, which is equivalent to (r^2 + 1)/r ≥ 1. Therefore, (r^2 + 1)/r ≤ 1, proving the inequality.

Can you provide an example of a value for r that satisfies this inequality?

Yes, for r = 1, the left side of the inequality becomes (1^2 + 1)/1 = 2/1 = 2, which is greater than or equal to 1, satisfying the inequality.

Why is it important to prove this inequality?

This inequality has many applications in mathematics and science, particularly in calculus and optimization problems. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding inequalities and their properties.