1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple proof help?

1. Sep 4, 2012 #1
    simple proof help??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question states: Let rεQ+ Prove that if (r^2+1)/(r)≤1, then (r^2+2)/(r)≤2.
    I wanted to prove it trivially by proving it is true for all Q(x). would this be a correct way?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Since (r^2+2)/(r)≤2= (r-1)^2+1≤ 0 it follows (r-1)^2≤-1 for all rεQ+. Therefore (r^2+2)/(r)≤2.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: simple proof help??

The minimum of the function f(r) = (r^2 + 1)/r = r + (1/r) is f_min = 2, at r = 1. So, it is impossible to have f(r) <= 1 with r > 0.

RGV

4. Sep 4, 2012 #3

I realized my mistake you cant prove it trivially. The way I proved it is wrong since (r-1)^2+1≥0 and not ≤0.

5. Sep 5, 2012 #4

why am i getting different graphs when I graph r-(1\r)≤1 and r^2-r+1? I just multiplied through by r and moved everything around but still im getting different equations.

6. Sep 5, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "r-(1\r)≤1"? there is no "≤" in your second formula. If you dif mean r- (1/r)≤ 1, multiplying through by (positive) r gives r^2- 1≤ r and then "moving everything around" gives r^2- r- 1≤ 0, not r^2- r+ 1≤ 0.

7. Sep 5, 2012 #6

for the r- (1/r)≤ 1 i get a hyperbola looking graph and r^2- r- 1≤ 0 I get a parobla with both being shaded.

8. Sep 5, 2012 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So, are we to understand that you really meant (r^2 - 1)/r ≤ 1? You never told us that.

Anyway, assuming that is the case, the inequalities 1 ≥ (r^2-1)/r = r - 1/r and r > 0 give a region along the real r-axis that you can find by plotting y = r - 1/r and seeing where the graph has y ≤ 1. It is true that the graph is like a hyerbola. As you say, you can also multiply through by r and get another inequality r^2 - r ≤ 1, so we can plot y = r^2 - r and see where y ≤ 1. As you rightly say, the graph is a parabola. However, the points r that satisfy these inequalities are exactly the same: both give an interval (0,r0), with the same r0.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook