Proof of Group Property: G is a Group

In summary, we need to prove that a set G with an operation * satisfying certain properties is a group. These properties include closure under *, associativity, the existence of an identity element e, and the existence of inverse elements for each element in G. The approach is to show that if x has a left inverse y, then xy=e, and if x has a right inverse f, then fx=e. This can be used to prove that e is unique and that G is a group. However, proving that fx=x implies f=e is not straightforward and requires careful consideration.
JohnDuck

Homework Statement

Let G be a set with an operation * such that:
1. G is closed under *.
2. * is associative.
3. There exists an element e in G such that e*x = x.
4. Given x in G, there exists a y in G such that y*x = e.

Prove that G is a group.

Homework Equations

I need to prove that x*e = x and x*y = e, with x, y, e as given above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I dunno, I'm stumped. I've tried finding some sort of clever identity without any success.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just playing around here to reduce the number of things we have to prove. We know x has a left inverse y. What is xyx? It is x(yx)=x, and it is (xy)x, thus if we could show that the e in 3 was unique, we'd have xy=e, and x would have a right inverse.

So we just have to show that fx=x implies f=e, to obtain the existence of right inverses.

Now, supposing that we have inverses on both sides, what can we say? Well, x*e=x(x^-1x)=(xx^-1)x=e*x, so we get a unique two sided identity.

Putting that together, all I need to show is that fx=x implies f=e. Is that any easier? (it is implied by the existence of right inverses, but that is circular logic, so careful how you try to prove it).

Last edited:
I'm still not making any progress. :(

Here's a start on one of them:
Let's say we have some [itex]i[/itex] (not necessarily [itex]e[/itex]) with
[tex]i \times x = x[/tex]
then
[tex]i \times i = i[/tex]
[tex]i^{-1} \times (i \times i) =i^{-1} \times i[/tex]

Last edited:

What is a group?

A group is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and a binary operation that combines any two elements in the set to produce another element in the set. The operation must also satisfy certain properties, such as closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility.

What is a simple proof involving groups?

A simple proof involving groups is a mathematical argument that uses the properties of groups to demonstrate a theorem or statement. This proof may involve using the group axioms, definitions, and theorems to show the validity of a statement.

How are groups used in real-life?

Groups are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as in cryptography, chemistry, physics, and computer science. For example, in cryptography, groups are used to encrypt and decrypt messages, while in chemistry, groups are used to describe the symmetry of molecules.

What is the order of a group?

The order of a group is the number of elements in the group. It is denoted by |G|, where G is the group. The order of a group is an important property as it can determine the complexity of certain operations within the group.

What is Lagrange's theorem?

Lagrange's theorem states that the order of a subgroup of a finite group must divide the order of the group. In other words, the order of a subgroup must be a factor of the order of the group. This theorem has many applications in group theory, including in the study of cosets and quotient groups.