1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Proof

1. Feb 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove the following: If the integer n is divisible by 3 then n^3 is divisible by 3.

2. Relevant equations

Direct Proof

3. The attempt at a solution

n = 3m

n^2 = 9m^2

n^2 = 3(3m^2)

I think the proof is done at this point because the 3 factors out but I also did this:

n^2 = 9m^2

(n^2)/9 = m^2

(n/3)(n/3) = (m)(m)

which also implies n is divisible by 3 since integer x integer = integer

My professor is kind of harsh on proofs so Im not sure if there are intermediate steps I'm missing. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2008 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

If 3 is a factor of n, it must also be a factor of any natural power of n. Do you mean n^3 or n^2? Your working looks like n^2. Anyway, the first way you did it is correct and satisfactory though if your teacher is really harsh, you may want to go like:

[tex]n= 3m[/tex] for some natural value of m, because n is divisible by 3 (Data).
    Squaring both sides, [tex]n^2 = 9m^2 = 3 ( 3m^2)[/tex]. Since m is natural, 3m^2 must also be natural, and hence 3 is a factor of n^2 as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?