1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Proof

1. Dec 18, 2008 #1

Noo

I'm studying pure maths/numb theory for the first time (independantly, and from a shallow, brief-ish book with no given solutions, so i have noone else to ask :P ). I just started a day or two ago. The book leaves Induction till a little later, so this should be proved directly, or maybe by contradiction - and only with basic high-school maths.

Even to my novice eyes this problem seems very simple, not simple enough for me, yet, though.

[tex]\forall n \in Z, \exists a,b,...,h \in Z[/tex] such that [tex]n = a^{3}+b^{3}+. . .+h^{3}[/tex]

I must either prove the above is true, or prove that its negation is true.

I'm not sure where to start, and havent been for 1 or 2 other problems (such as proving 'a^3 -a' is always divisible by 6). I have been thinking of something along the lines of;

Showing [tex]\sqrt[3]{a^{3}+b^{3}+c^{3}+d^{3}+e^{3}+f^{3}+g^{3}-n}[/tex] cant always equate to an integer. But that is random and useless. I'm noy even sure whether the original statement is true or not.

What should i be looking for in trying to prove these things? Or is it mainly that i am not familiar enough with properties of numbers yet? In any case, suggestions/hints/advice or even solutions will all help me in starting out.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, what exactly is the problem? "Such that" is usually a condition, not a conclusion. Are you trying to prove "If n is an integer, then there exist integers a,b, c..., h that n= a3+ b3+ ... h3" And a, b, ... can be any number of integers, not specifically 8? That probably is NOT the case since then it would be trivial- any number can be written as a sum of "1"s.

4. Dec 18, 2008 #3

Noo

Yes, Halls, its as you have assumed (or maybe this isnt what you assumed). "For all integers n, there exists 8 integers cubed which sum to n" (That includes 0's). So, it is to prove that statement true, or to prove its negation ("there exists an integer n, for which 8 integers cubed do not sum to n").

5. Dec 18, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Proving something like that would be extremely difficult. You'd better pin your hopes on finding a fairly easy counterexample. There is one. Start expressing small numbers as the sum of cubes and you should find it pretty quickly.

6. Dec 18, 2008 #5
    I could have missed something, but I don't think it's so easy. All integers between -100 and 100 can be represented as the sum of cubes of at most 8 integers, for example.

7. Dec 18, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll take your word for it, but I think the problem is supposed to be the sum of cubes of nonnegative integers. At least that's the way I took it. Is it Noo? In which case there is an exception.

8. Dec 18, 2008 #7
    Yes, you're right. If the problem is about nonnegative integers, then there is a small exception :smile:

9. Dec 18, 2008 #8

Noo

I took your advise and have checked all |n| up to 150 so far, i have no counter-example yet. Just to clarify, as i am sure you realise, the sum can include subtractions; so for example the interval [157, 167] is covered by "[tex]5^{3} + 4^{3} + (-3)^{3} ^{+}_{-} m [/tex], where, since there are 5 remaining components of the sum, each of which can be at 0 or 1, [tex](m=0,1..,5) [/tex] That is: 125+64-27 = 162, so [(162-5), (162+5)].

Edit: Oh, sorry. I took so long writing this, working LaTex out, that 3 posts arrived before mine. It is for all integers, negative included. And yes, using the interval method i hinted at above i am effectively checking off intervals of the number line. But after i hit 200 i'm giving up hope of finding a counter example:D

P.S. All |n|<205 confirmed.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  10. Dec 18, 2008 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can give up the search then. If the cubes are allowed to be signed then it is true. In fact you only need 5. I know this because I looked it up, not because I know the proof. I'm pretty sure it's beyond the range of high school algebra. But maybe there is a trick for 8 cubes that makes it accessible. If you are SURE that's the intention, then it's back to the drawing board.

11. Dec 18, 2008 #10

Noo

Alright, and thanks.

It seems very interesting to me that you only ever need 5. Although in googling just now i learned that all cubes can be expressed as a sum of consecutive odd integers, which i also found very interesting, so perhaps i am easily interested.

12. Dec 18, 2008 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since you are so easily interested here's a the '5' proof. I found this in a pdf titled 'Waring's problem, taxicab numbers and other sums of powers'. Google around for it. Start with the identity,

6x=(x+1)^3+(x-1)^3-2*x^3

That proves it for all numbers divisible by six. Now just create some variations on that formula, e.g.

6x+1=(x+1)^3+(x-1)^3-2*x^3+1
    6x-1=(x+1)^3+(x-1)^3-2*x^3-1
    6x+2=x^3+(x+2)^3-2(x+1)^3-2^3
    6x-2=x^3+(x-2)^3-2(x-1)^3+2^3
    6x+3=(x-3)^3+(x-5)^3-2(x-4)^3+3^3

There may be some typos in there. Try to find the paper, it might have other interesting stuff in it. I can't find a author on the paper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?