1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple proof

1. Sep 28, 2013 #1
    is n = m^3 - m for some integer m, then n is a multiple of 6

how do I proof this?

I tried to do it by condradiction by assuming n is not a multiple of 6, i.e. when n is divided it is in the form of n = 1+k, or n = 2+k or n = 3+k or n = 4+k or n=5+k for some integer k

however I wasn't able to get anywhere, any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By 1+k or 2+k or 3+k I think you mean 1+6k or 2+6k etc.

You might want to try doing this with m instead of n.

4. Sep 28, 2013 #3
    I don't get it, why?

5. Sep 28, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Factor m^3- m. What do you get?

6. Sep 28, 2013 #5
    m(m^2-1) = m(m-1)(m+1)

7. Sep 28, 2013 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you try doing it? What did you get?

Factoring is actually a much cleaner way of doing this than my suggestion... can you explain why (m-1)(m)(m+1) is divisible by 6?

8. Sep 28, 2013 #7
    I don't understand what your suggestion is trying to make me do, and I don't see why that's divisible by 6 (though I tried a few examples).

9. Sep 28, 2013 #8
    ok I understand why that divides by 6

but I think the book wants me to use contradiction - how would I do that?

10. Sep 28, 2013 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, you understand that [itex]n= m^3- m= (m-1)(m)(m+1)[/itex], the product of three consecutive numbers. So at least one of those (in fact, one of any two consecutive numbers) is even and one of them is a multiple of 3. That proves that n is divisible by 6 and I don't see why you would want any proof.

I suppose you could say "Suppose n is not divisible by 6. Then either it is not divisible by 2 or it is not divisible by 3.

Since 2 is a prime number, if n is not divisible by 2, no factor of n is not divisible by 2. In particular, m- 1 is not divisible by 2. In that case m- 1 is odd: m-1= 2k+ 1 for some integer k. Then m= m-1+ 1= 2k+ 1+ 1= 2k+ 2= 2(k+ 1) is divisible by 2, a contradiction.

Since 3 is a prime number, if n is not divisible by 3, no factor of n is divisible by 3. In particular, m-1 is not divisible by 3 which means m-1= 3k-1 or m-1= 3k+1 for some integer k. If m-1= 3k- 1 then m= m-1+1= 3k-1+ 1= 3k is divisible by 3, a contradiction. If m-1= 3k+ 1, then m+1= m-1+ 2= 3k+1+ 2= 3k+ 3= 3(k+1) is divisible by 3, a contradiction."

But that is much more complicated than a direct proof so I cannot imagine why you would not use the simpler direct proof.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted