1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Proof

1. Sep 8, 2005 #1
    Where [tex] \mathbb{Z}^{+}[/tex] represents the set of all positive integers,
    How do I prove that

[tex] \begin{gathered} \forall \left\{ {a_0 ,a_1 ,a_2 , \ldots ,a_n } \right\} \subset \mathbb{Z}^ + \;{\text{where}}\;\max \left\{ {a_0 ,a_1 ,a_2 , \ldots ,a_n } \right\} \leqslant 9, \hfill \\
    \left( {\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n {a_k 10^k } } \right)\;{\text{is divisible by }}3{\text{ iff }}\left( {\sum\limits_{k = 0}^n {a_k } } \right)\;{\text{is divisible by 3}} \; {?} \hfill \\ \end{gathered} [/tex]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Generally, you would want to look at problems like this modulo 3. Or, equivalently, to see if 3 divides their difference.

4. Sep 8, 2005 #3
    :redface: Do you know any good books or sources on modulus?
    (I'm only a HS student, just started CalcIII)

5. Sep 9, 2005 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I used induction and the fact that if an integer z is divisible by 3, then there exists (a unique) integer m such that z = 3m. Strangely though, I did not use the fact that the a_i's are smaller or equal to 9...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  6. Sep 9, 2005 #5
    Consider that a number is divisible by 3 iff the digits of the number add up to a multiple of three and that multiplying a number by a multiple of 10 just adds 0s to it and thus doesn't affect the sum of its digits.

7. Sep 9, 2005 #6
    This is equivalent to bomba923's question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?