Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple Pulley Belt Question

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1
    A narrow belt is used to drive a 20.00-cm diameter pulley from a 35.00-cm-diameter pulley. The centers of the two pulleys are 2.000 m apart. How long must the belt be if the pulleys rotate in the same direction? In opposite directions?

I am sure the solution to this problem is very simple, but I just cannot seem to figure out how to even begin this problem.Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2008 #2
    I think you just need to find the hypotenuse using trigonometry.

4. Sep 3, 2008 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Solving this begins with drawing a picture of the wheels and belt.

5. Sep 3, 2008 #4
    well of course that would be the obvious thing to do. Once i have it drawn I am guessing I need to form a right triangle? Simply by extending a tangent line from one pulley to the other on top and bottom? From here i am stuck. I know that the center is 2 cm but how do you calculate for the belt wrapping around the pulley itself? Would that be arc length or something?

6. Sep 3, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi ur5pointos2sl! :smile:
    Yes, that's arc-length! :smile:

7. Sep 4, 2008 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay, guess I took you too literally when you said you didn't know how to begin.

Pretty much. Draw simple shapes like right triangles, rectangles, and/or circles to figure things out. Yes, the length of belt portion wrapping around the pulley is an arc length; you'll need to figure out the angle involved using geometry and trig.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook