Simple Pulley Problem: Finding Tension and Acceleration for Two Connected Blocks

In summary, this conversation discusses a problem with two blocks connected by a cord over a frictionless pulley. The focus is on finding the tension in the cord and the acceleration of the masses. One method is to consider the resultant force as the difference between the weight of the two masses, while the other method is to apply the equation F=ma separately to each mass. Both methods yield the same result, but the latter is more rigorous and recommended for more complex problems.
travikk

Homework Statement

Two blocks with masses m = 2kg and M = 3kg are connected by a cord that passes over a
massless and frictionless pulley. The system is released from rest. Find the tension T in the cord and acceleration of the masses.

Homework Equations

F = m*a
Q = m*g

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually made a sketch of a system but I am not sure, If equations are correct. Could you check and show me the correct way to handle this simple problem? Thanks.

24waglf.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's a light string and a frictionless pulley, then T1 = T2 = T
The tension is the same throughout the string.
You need to apply Resultant force = mass x acceleration for the two masses separately.
Both masses also have the same acceleration magnitude (=a) as the string is not extensible. (I guess!)
For the left mass, the resultant force is T-Mg
The mass is M and the acceleration is a
Do the same for the right mass.

Thanks for your answer!
Is it this way then:

906rsy.jpg

There are 2 ways of looking at this. The simple (quick) way, and the longer, more rigorous way.

The quick way will work here as it is a simple problem.
In this case, you can say that the resultant force is Q1 - Q2(Q1 is greater than Q2 and the 3kg mass will accelerate downwards, and the 2kg upwards.)
This resultant force accelerates the combined mass M+m
So your equation becomes
Q1-Q2 = (M+m)a

The more rigorous method is to apply F=ma separately to the two masses, as I said in my first post. (F is resultant force)

On the left
Q1 -T1 = Ma
On the right
T2-Q2 = ma

If you combine these two equations to eliminate T, you will get the same result as in the first method.
This 2nd method always works. The 1st method only works in simple cases such as this.
I recommend always approaching such problems using the 2nd method.

I would first start by identifying the key variables in this problem. We have two masses, m and M, a tension force in the cord, T, and an acceleration, a. From the given information, we can also assume that the system is in a state of rest before it is released.

To solve this problem, we can use Newton's second law, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration (F=ma). We can also use the equation for gravitational force (Fg=mg) to find the weight of each object, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

Since the system is released from rest, we can assume that the acceleration of both masses is the same. Therefore, we can set up an equation for the net force acting on each mass:

For m: Fnet = T - Fg = ma
For M: Fnet = Fg - T = Ma

We also know that the masses are connected by a cord, so the tension force is the same for both masses. This allows us to set the two equations equal to each other:

T - mg = ma = Fg - T = Ma

Solving for T, we get T = (m+M)g/2 = (2+3)(9.8)/2 = 24.5N. This is the tension force in the cord.

To find the acceleration, we can plug in the value for T into either of the original equations and solve for a. Let's use the equation for m:

T - mg = ma
24.5 - (2)(9.8) = a(2)
a = 2.55 m/s^2

Therefore, the acceleration of both masses is 2.55 m/s^2.

1. What is a simple pulley problem?

A simple pulley problem involves using a single pulley to lift or move an object. It is a basic physics problem that demonstrates the principles of pulleys and how they can be used to make work easier.

2. How does a simple pulley work?

A simple pulley consists of a rope or cable wrapped around a grooved wheel. When one end of the rope is pulled, it causes the wheel to rotate, which in turn moves the load attached to the other end of the rope. The pulley reduces the amount of force needed to lift the load by distributing it over multiple ropes and changing the direction of the force.

3. What are the types of simple pulleys?

There are two types of simple pulleys: fixed and movable. A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object, and the load is attached to the other end of the rope. A movable pulley is attached to the load, and the rope is attached to a fixed point. Both types of pulleys can be used to lift and move objects, but a movable pulley can reduce the amount of force needed even further.

4. What are some real-life examples of simple pulleys?

Simple pulleys are commonly used in everyday objects such as window blinds, flagpoles, and elevators. They are also used in more complex systems, such as cranes, to lift heavy loads. In addition, simple pulleys are often used in fitness equipment, such as weight machines, to make it easier to lift weights.

5. How do I solve a simple pulley problem?

To solve a simple pulley problem, you will need to know the mass of the load, the force needed to lift the load, and the mechanical advantage of the pulley system. The mechanical advantage is the ratio of the force needed to lift the load to the force applied to the rope. By using these values and applying the principle of work and energy, you can calculate the force needed to lift the load in a simple pulley system.