Simple Pulley Problem: Energy Methods and Coefficient of Friction Explained

In summary: The hoop starts from rest at the top of the plane. So the final speed is not the same as the speed when the hoop has traveled a distance of 16.4 m down the plane.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two blocks connected by a string and a pulley, and determining the speed of one block after it has moved a certain distance using energy methods. The correct answer is 1.4m/s, and the equations used are -F_fk = 1/2m_1v^2-m_2gh and -F_fk = 1/2m_1v^2+1/2Iw^2-m_2gh, with m_1 representing the mass of
Exuro89

Homework Statement

In Fig. 9.2, two blocks, of masses 2 kg and 3 kg, are connected by a light string that passes over a pulley of moment of inertia 0.004 kgm^2 and radius 5 cm. The coefficient of friction for the table top is 0.30. The blocks are released from rest. Using energy methods, one can deduce that after the upper block has moved 0.6 m, its speed is:
9.2.jpg

Homework Equations

Work Energy Theorum

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer to the problem is 1.4m/s but I'm not understanding why. This answer fits if the pulley is ignored with the equation

-F_fk = 1/2mv^2-mgh

But when I add the pulley in with this equation

-F_fk = 1/2mv^2+1/2Iw^2-mgh

the answer is wrong.

Does the term "passes over the pulley" mean the pulley is not rotating? So I would not need to put that into the equation? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Exuro89 said:
Does the term "passes over the pulley" mean the pulley is not rotating?
No. Assume the pulley is rotating as it normally would.
So I would not need to put that into the equation?
You'll need to consider the change in energy of the pulley.

(Your equations showed only one mass 'm', but each block must be considered separately when figuring the change in energy.)

That was quickly written, I meant to have those masses be different.

-F_fk = 1/2m_1v^2-m_2gh

This equation equates to 1.4m/s which is the correct answer while...

-F_fk = 1/2m_1v^2+1/2Iw^2-m_2gh

this equation which I believe is the correct equation equates to 1.13m/s.

What am I doing incorrectly?

Last edited:
Likes DecadeI
Exuro89 said:
That was quickly written, I meant to have those masses be different.

-F_fk = 1/2mv_1^2-m_2gh

This equation equates to 1.4m/s which is the correct answer
I agree that the correct answer is 1.4 m/s, but that equation is not correct. You cannot neglect the KE of the pulley (and m_2). Maybe it's just a coincidence that the numbers work out. (I didn't check.)

while...

-F_fk = 1/2m_1v^2+1/2Iw^2-m_2gh

this equation which I believe is the correct equation equates to 1.13m/s.
For one thing, you missed the KE of m_2. And you need the work done by friction, not just the force of friction.

Am I doing this problem incorrectly?
Fix up the last equation and you should be able to get the needed answer.

Likes DecadeI
Are you including the kinetic energy of the 2 kg mass in this equation, that is are you using m_1 as 3 kg or 5 kg?

Ah thank you, that's what I forgot.

I'm having issues with this other problem

"A hoop is released from rest at the top of a plane inclined at 16 above horizontal. How long does it take the hoop to roll 16.4 m down the plane?"

Another energy problem.

I believe the equation is mgh=1/2mv^2+1/2mv^2

Am I on the right track? Still working on it.

Last edited:
Exuro89 said:
I'm having issues with this other problem

"A hoop is released from rest at the top of a plane inclined at 16 above horizontal. How long does it take the hoop to roll 16.4 m down the plane?"

Another energy problem.

I believe the equation is mgh=1/2mv^2+1/2mv^2

Am I on the right track? Still working on it.
Yes, you're on the right track. Note that v is the final speed.

What is a simple pulley problem?

A simple pulley problem involves a pulley system with one or more movable pulleys used to lift or move objects. It is a common physics problem used to demonstrate concepts such as mechanical advantage and work.

What are the components of a simple pulley system?

The main components of a simple pulley system include a fixed pulley, a movable pulley, and a rope or cable. The fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object, while the movable pulley can move up and down along the rope or cable.

How does a simple pulley system work?

A simple pulley system works by using the mechanical advantage of the pulleys to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object. As the rope or cable is pulled, the movable pulley moves up, while the fixed pulley stays in place. The force is distributed between the two pulleys, making it easier to lift the object.

What is mechanical advantage in a simple pulley system?

Mechanical advantage is a measure of how much a machine can multiply the input force. In a simple pulley system, the mechanical advantage is equal to the number of movable pulleys. For example, if there are two movable pulleys, the mechanical advantage is 2, meaning the force needed to lift an object is half of its weight.

What are some real-life applications of simple pulleys?

Simple pulleys have many practical uses in daily life, such as in construction, transportation, and manufacturing. They are commonly used in elevators, cranes, and pulley systems for moving heavy objects. They are also used in exercise equipment and zip lines.