Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple QM question

1. Sep 7, 2008 #1
    Hi,

Say if we have two energy eingenfunctions and correpsonding eigenvalues, as specified by:
    [tex] H \psi_1 =E_1 \psi_1 [/tex]
    [tex] H \psi_2 =E_2 \psi_2 [/tex]

I have written in my notes that since the Hamiltonian operator H is linear, then [tex] \phi=C_1 \psi_1 + C_2 \psi_2 [/tex] must also be a solution. But

[tex] H \phi =H(C_1 \psi_1 + C_2 \psi_2) =C_1 E_1 \psi_1 +C_2 E_2 \psi_2 =E_1 C_1 \psi_1 + E_2 C_2\psi_2 != E \phi [/tex], where E is some constant. (!= is supposed to represent NOT equal to)

so how can this combination also be a solution (assuming the eigenfunctions are non degenerate)?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2008 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is true for solutions of the time-dependent Schrodinger equation, but it not, in general, true for solution of the time-independent Schrodinger equation. Consequently, the linear combination of two stationary states is (usually) not a stationary state.

4. Sep 7, 2008 #3

atyy

Science Advisor

[tex] H \psi_1 = E \psi_1 [/tex]

The above equation is linear - this is why degenerate eigenvalues can occur.

[tex] H \psi_1 =E_1 \psi_1 [/tex]
    [tex] H \psi_2 =E_2 \psi_2 [/tex]

The above equations are two different linear equations, because [tex]E_1[/tex] and [tex]E_1[/tex] are different, so there is no reason for the sum of their solutions to remain solutions.

5. Sep 7, 2008 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Note that [tex]C_1 \psi_1+ C_2 \psi_2[/tex] is a solution. However, it is (in general) not an energy eigenvalue. In fact, if one measured the energy, one would find a probability [tex]C_1^2/(C_1^2 + C_2^2)[/tex] that it has energy [tex]E_1[/tex] and [tex]C_2^2/(C_1^2 + C_2^2)[/tex] that it has energy [tex]E_2[/tex].

6. Sep 7, 2008 #5
    ah thank you both! makes perfect sense now...

7. Sep 7, 2008 #6
    I agree with your answer as it pertains to the OP's question, but you touch on a sore point that went unresolved in a recent thread. Is this business of measuring the energy just a hypothetical argument, or is it actually possible to measure the energy of such a state? In the previous discussion we were considering the case of a hydrogen atom in a superposition of states.

8. Sep 7, 2008 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

It's possible. The difficulty is preparing a state like the OP described.

9. Sep 7, 2008 #8
    I guess when I asked "is it possible to measure such a state" I wasn't looking for a yes or no answer; the implication was that I was looking for a description of how you would actually do it.

As for preparing such states, I would think they are the rule rather than the exception in nature. Any perturbation of a pure energy eigenstate will result in that state going into a superposition with other states mixed in.

10. Sep 7, 2008 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

This is getting pretty far afield of the OP's original question, and I have no idea what your objection is to the idea of measuring energy. I had thought it was a problem with conservation of energy with a mixed state, but I guess it's not. Since there's no short answer, I suggest we end this thread hijack.

11. Sep 7, 2008 #10
    Then why don't you just tell me how it's done?

Why don't you just ban me from the group altogether?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?