Understanding Inertia: Explaining the Door Closing Phenomenon in Moving Cars

• Thread starter Einstein1729
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inertia
In summary, the phenomenon of closing a car door when the car starts accelerating forward can be explained by the force at the hinge in the ground frame. The force both accelerates and rotates the door, generating torque about the axis of rotation. The axis of rotation can be solved for mathematically and as long as it is outside the car, the forward force will rotate the door closed. The centre of mass of the door may also move backwards relative to the ground.
Einstein1729
Explain the phenomenon of closing of door of a car when car starts accelerating forward please explain in ground frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What forces do you think might be acting on the door ?

Nidum said:
What forces do you think might be acting on the door ?
In ground frame I think no force.But wrt to car frame there is one pseudo force.

Einstein1729 said:
In ground frame I think no force.
Wouldn't that mean the door would be left behind by the car? :wink:

The question is hard to answer in part because the title is no help, you need to use plain English, the question is not very clear.
Please take the time to read the rules about how to post.

Thanks.

Einstein1729 said:
In ground frame I think no force.
sophiecentaur said:
Wouldn't that mean the door would be left behind by the car? :wink:
I know that's why I want to know how it closes? Wrt ground frame

Einstein1729 said:
I know that's why I want to know how it closes? Wrt ground frame
Does the door have hinges?

jbriggs444 said:
Does the door have hinges?
Yes

Einstein1729 said:
Explain the phenomenon of closing of door of a car when car starts accelerating forward please explain in ground frame.
In the ground frame the force at the hinge both accelerates and rotates the door. It is important to recognize that the hinge is not the axis of rotation since it is accelerating in this frame. Since it is not the axis of rotation, forces at the hinge can generate torque about the axis of rotation.

Dale said:
In the ground frame the force at the hinge both accelerates and rotates the door. It is important to recognize that the hinge is not the axis of rotation since it is accelerating in this frame. Since it is not the axis of rotation, forces at the hinge can generate torque about the axis of rotation.
What is the axis of rotation in case of ground frame?and how is the force be able to rotate backward if the force at hinge is in forward? I am sorry if I am wrong.

Einstein1729 said:
What is the axis of rotation in case of ground frame?
You have to solve for it mathematically, it is not obvious.

Einstein1729 said:
how is the force be able to rotate backward if the force at hinge is in forward?
As long as the axis is anywhere outside the car, the forward force will rotate the door closed.

Einstein1729 said:
how is the force be able to rotate backward if the force at hinge is in forward?

Does the centre of mass of the door move "backwards" relative to the ground?

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is an object's tendency to resist changes in its state of motion.

2. How does inertia relate to the door closing phenomenon in moving cars?

In the door closing phenomenon, the car's motion creates a force that acts on the door. The door resists this force due to its inertia, causing it to stay open until the force is no longer acting on it.

3. Why does the door close only when the car is moving?

When the car is at rest, there is no force acting on the door to overcome its inertia. However, when the car is in motion, the force created by the car's movement acts on the door and overcomes its inertia, causing it to close.

4. Is inertia the only factor at play in the door closing phenomenon?

No, there are other factors at play such as air resistance and friction. These forces can also affect the movement of the door and contribute to the door closing phenomenon.

5. How does understanding inertia help us in daily life?

Understanding inertia can help us predict and explain the behavior of objects in motion, such as the door closing phenomenon in moving cars. It also helps us design and build structures and machines that can withstand different forces and movements.