Why Does a Thrown Stone Have Constant Acceleration?

In summary, the question is asking for the graph that best represents the acceleration of a stone thrown during its flight. The possible solutions include a negative parabola, a positive parabola, a constant line, and another option. The answer is the last one, which may be confusing because the speed is not constant. However, the acceleration due to gravity is a constant value and is the only force acting on the object.
Stripe

Homework Statement

ok so on a practice test it states that:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/797/98387316.png

During its flight, the graph of the acceleration of a stone thrown is best shown by:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so basically there are 4 possible solutions, 4 graphs.

The first one is in the form of a negative parabola, that starts midway on the y intercept and goes up and down until it reaches 0 after 5 seconds.

The second one is a positive parabola that starts on the same y intercept, but goes down to 0 after 2 seconds then goes up.

The last one is one that has a constant line at the same y intercept.

And some other one which i am sure isn't the answer.

Anyway so i chose the first one, also suspecting it may be the second one. The answer says it's the last one.

Now what i don't understand is, how the acceleration can be constant? it firstly travels up, and then down, which means that the acceleration goes from positive to negative?

UNLESS the question is talking about the acceleration across not up and down.

I know this sounds confusing this question is very misleading...

Thanks anyway~!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that it first travels up, then down means that SPEED isn't constant. That doesn't mean acceleration isn't constant.

The only force acting on the object is gravity, and acceleration due to gravity is a constant value.

oh...i get it!

Thanks that was really helpful.

Let's hope that's what the jibbed question meant!

thanks again

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is acceleration calculated?

To calculate acceleration, you divide the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is:
a = (vf - vi) / t
where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. Velocity is a measure of speed and direction, while acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing.

What are the units of acceleration?

The SI unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²). Other common units include feet per second squared (ft/s²) and kilometers per hour squared (km/h²).

What are some examples of acceleration?

Acceleration can be seen in everyday activities such as riding a roller coaster, driving a car, or throwing a ball. It is also present in natural phenomena like the motion of planets around the sun or the acceleration of a falling object due to gravity.