Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question about AI

1. Sep 12, 2007 #1

Simfish

Gold Member

Does AI consist primarily of if/then statements? I know that AI could also include random behaviors based on the "internal flip of the coin" as well. But what else can AI do?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2007 #2
    I think AI does function off of if/then statements, as well as different actions to repeated events. Basically if/then statements that count up. In fact, it would be hard to deny that humans function off of if/then statements. Basically, there has to be an event for there to be a reaction. It is fairly hard to think of an action that cannot be converted to an if/then statement.

"If I dont want to look straight ahead, then I look in a different direction."

"If my sister makes more sound, then I get more angry with her."

Just my opinion.

"If someone starts a thread on AI using if/then statements, then type opinion in reply."

4. Sep 12, 2007 #3

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From a decision making perspective, all existing AIs can be implemented on touring machines. (Google/Wikipedia for more on what that means.)

AI is a relatively vague term, so it would be helpful if you could elaborate a bit on what you mean by AI.

5. Sep 12, 2007 #4
    If yout meant Turing machines, I'm pretty sure I once read a book by Roger Penrose that would disagree with that. I believe it was called "The Emperor's New Mind".

6. Sep 12, 2007 #5

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You'll note that I said 'existing' AFAIAA Penrose argues that natural intelligences (such as some humans) require super-Turing quantum-mechanical properties in that book.

7. Sep 12, 2007 #6

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, A.I. is not just a bunch of if-then statements, at least, no more than any normal program is. Look up neural nets, genetic algorithms, computer chess, etc.

As for consciousness depending on quantum mechanical properties... can't we model those on a computer?

8. Sep 12, 2007 #7

Aether

Gold Member

Not on a conventional computer...at least not exactly for systems larger than about 30 electrons. --http://www.dwavesys.com/index.php?page=quantum-computing

9. Sep 12, 2007 #8

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wasn't talking about tractability, I was talking about computability. It doesn't matter, philosophically, if you can actually do the simulation. All that matters is if it is, in theory, possible. Consciousness slowed down by a factor of 10^10^100 is still consciousness.

10. Sep 13, 2007 #9

Aether

Gold Member

To which scientific theory of consciousness are you referring?

Only to the extent that there is some objective measure of consciousness to begin with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?