Simple question about basic function

• Thread starter kougou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, x3[t] is equal to x1[2t- 4] when x2[t] is defined as x1[t- 2] and x3[t] is defined as x2[2t].
kougou

Homework Statement

If x2[t]= x1[t-2]
and x3[t]=x2[2t]

What is x3[t] in terms of x1[t]?

a) x3[t]= x1[2(t-2)]
b) x3[t]= x1[2t-2]

Homework Equations

which one?

The Attempt at a Solution

offcourse, but I am struggling with this concept of shifting. But I believe the answer should be A. since x3[t] is the compression version of x2[t], which is the shift version of x1[t].

So the overall transformation would be x3[2(t-2)], which is not correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any "attempt at a solution". Have you not tried?

HallsofIvy said:
I don't see any "attempt at a solution". Have you not tried?

offcourse, but I am struggling with this concept of shifting. But I believe the answer should be A. since x3[t] is the compression version of x2[t], which is the shift version of x1[t].

So the overall transformation would be x3[2(t-2)], which does not correct.

This problem is not so much about "shifting" as it is about understanding functional notation. You are given that x2[t]= x1[t- 2]. That is exactly the same thing as saying that x2[y]= x1[y- 2] or x2[a]= x1[a- 2]. Whatever is in the braces of x2, in the x1 function, you subtract 2 from it. In x3[t]= x2[2t], what is "in the braces of x2" is "2t" so x3[t]= x2[2t]. What do you get when you replace "t" with "2t" in x1?

I think this one is easiest to see algebraically. Let's rename some variables to avoid confusion. So let
x2(u) = x1(u - 2)
x3(v) = x2(2v)

Now set v = t. What will u be?

What is a basic function?

A basic function is a set of operations or instructions that take one or more inputs and produce an output. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and computer science, and is used to solve problems and perform tasks.

What is the purpose of a basic function?

The purpose of a basic function is to perform a specific task or solve a particular problem. It allows for the organization and simplification of complex processes, making them easier to understand and execute.

What are the components of a basic function?

A basic function typically consists of three components: the input, the process, and the output. The input is the data or values that are provided to the function, the process is the set of instructions that manipulate the input, and the output is the result of the process.

What is the difference between a function and a basic function?

A function is a broader concept that refers to any relationship between inputs and outputs. A basic function is a specific type of function that is simple and easy to understand, often used as building blocks for more complex functions.

How do you create a basic function?

To create a basic function, you first need to determine the inputs and outputs of the function. Then, you can write the necessary instructions or operations to process the input and produce the desired output. This can be done using a programming language or mathematical notation.