1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question about capacitor

1. Aug 7, 2012 #1
    My friends, it is probably an easy one, but I dont know it and I have an exam tomorrow :X

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How much time does it take for a capacitor to reach %80 of its max. potential difference?

2. Relevant equations

Thats the part I m needing.

3. The attempt at a solution

Thank you for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2012 #2

lewando

Gold Member

It depends on the charging circuit. If an ideal capacitor is attached to an ideal voltage source through a switch, when the switch is closed, the capacitor will charge instantaneously. Non-ideal devices will have some resistance which will affect the charging time.

4. Aug 7, 2012 #3
    Hmm... I have translated the question from my test completely, and there isnt any other information given. So, does it mean that the question is incomplete?

5. Aug 7, 2012 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As mentioned before, in real life, even if there are no components in the circuit but the capacitor, the circuit will always have some non-zero resistance. So, if you assume that the capacitor is charging through a resistor, you can then answer the question.

How long does it take for the capacitor to reach 80% of full charge in an *RC* circuit?

6. Aug 7, 2012 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Cetullah! :smile:
    That's like asking "How long is a piece of string?" :confused:

You have to know something about the capacitor (and the circuit it's in) to answer that!

Are you sure a "time constant" isn't given?​

7. Aug 7, 2012 #6
    Hi tiny-tim :smile:

Yeah, thats a weird question, but that's what exactly writes on the paper.

Our teacher is a weird man anyways.

But I guess, if sufficient data were given, we would use the equation "Vc=V*(1-e^(-t/RC)), right?

8. Aug 7, 2012 #7

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That equation seems about right. The question I asked you in my previous post still stands. There is not reason why you cannot express an answer in terms of the time constant.

9. Aug 7, 2012 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i agree :smile:

10. Aug 7, 2012 #9
    Oh cepheid, so you advice me to substitute the "t" with something like "kRC"?

Edit: Did so, and found one of the answers on paper "1.6"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook