Could Misaligned Brushes Cause Arcing in DC Shunt Motors?

In summary: is the armature shaft aligned correctly? does the commutator have commutator bars that are lined up correctly? does the commutator have commutator slotting? does the field windings have the correct number of turns? does the motor have the correct number of pole pieces? is the insulation hot? does the insulation have a good sheath? does the motor have the correct number of pins? etc etc etc. if it's an old motor you might not have to do all of that, just some of it.
FOIWATER
Gold Member
Hi PF..

I am an industrial electrician (w/ a electrical engineering technology diploma)

I work in a iron ore mine in northern Canada... we operate mining shovels. they are purely electric

there are two motors used for hoisting the bucket, they are DC shunt wound motors.

We recently built a new shovel, and one of the hoist motors is not operating correctly.

It is obvious to me the brush sets are not correctly aligned to commutate current while the armature rests in the neutral plane.

My question is... would you all agree w/ me in saying that if the brushes were spaced directly over the splits of the comm rings, you could move them, as a set all around the 360 degrees of the end bell and you would achieve satisfactory commutation?

AND.. that only if one of the brushes is not aligned well enough, will the current arc across the brush to the comm on the supply positive end?

I'm trying to explain as best I can it is difficult without a model...

let me try again... would you agree in saying... that the only reason the motor is not working correctly... and that a brush set is arcing... is because one brush set may be aligned correctly, but another may not be lining up with the splits of the comm while the other is... therefore current is arcing through the comm and back to the positive DC supply?

I mean, the brushes as a set may be not far enough away from the comm at the point of commutation (where they should be conducting NO current... only preparing for the next reversal..). and therefore they are arcing? that's what I believe... and I believe I need a unit to test my armature current at the point of commutation to ensure the current in my armature is zero...

PS> any help is appreciated!... but I don't need a crash course in DC machines... I understand what's going on with the exception of what causes the arcing of the brushes, and how it relates to the neutral plane.

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is a DC machine?

A DC (Direct Current) machine is an electrical device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy or vice versa. It is a type of electric motor that operates on the principle of electromagnetism.

2. How does a DC machine work?

A DC machine works on the principle of electromagnetic induction. When an electric current flows through the coil of wire, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with the magnetic field of a permanent magnet, causing the coil to rotate and generate mechanical energy.

3. What are the main components of a DC machine?

The main components of a DC machine include a stator (stationary part), rotor (rotating part), commutator, brushes, and DC power supply. The stator contains the field windings, while the rotor contains the armature windings. The commutator and brushes are responsible for converting the AC current in the armature into DC current.

4. What are the applications of DC machines?

DC machines have various applications, including in electric vehicles, generators, motors, and battery charging. They are also commonly used in industries for controlling speed and torque in machines.

5. What are the advantages of using a DC machine?

Some advantages of using a DC machine include simplicity of construction, easy speed and torque control, and high starting torque. They also have a wide operating range and can be used in both motoring and generating modes. Additionally, DC machines have a longer lifespan compared to other types of motors.