1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question about equivalence classes?

1. Jul 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Lets say I have the word mississippi .
    Would I then say that I have 11 elements in my multiset .
    And would I say that I have 4 equivalence classes because I only have 4 different letters.

If I had the set A={1,2,3,} Would I say this has 3 different equivalence classes.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

i think you need to define exactly what your set is and what the equivalence class is defined by

an example might be the set of numbers
    {2,3,4}

we could partition into 2 equivalence classes could be whether or not the number is divisible by 2

the letter case a little confusing as there are repeated elements in the set

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  4. Jul 7, 2011 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup, if each element of the multiset is a single letter.
    Not necessarily. The equivalence classes depend on exactly what equivalence relation you have.

5. Jul 7, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It makes no sense at all to talk about "equivalence classes" without stating the equivalence relation. You have two questions here. What are your equivalence relations?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook