Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question about gravity.

1. Jun 6, 2012 #1
    So I have a question.As GR states that gravity is a property of spacetime curvature.
    So for example as the sun having the biggest weight in our solar system it sits in the middle "like a boss" , or in curvature it is the deepest and the other planets orbit it and are higher standing because being lighter? I feel this is not a very good interpretation but still am doing my best.
    So if gravity is the property of space/time curving then if there would be no space/time there would be no gravity? Or gravity can exist without the existence of space/time.
    The question is: Are they basically understood together or can we say that we could have gravity just from mass of an object but without the 4th dimension that I guess would be time?

Thanks for your responses,
    Girts.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

How would you define "gravity" without a spacetime? Without the concept of a spacetime (or concepts very similar to this), you cannot have physical objects in a spacetime, and you don't have physics at all.

4. Jun 7, 2012 #3
    Spacetime is a type of mathematical space with a co-ordinate system in which measurements are made, it is not a thing like a carrot or a mosquito.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook