Simple question about KPOINT grids

• Thread starter discoduck
  • Start date
In summary, KPOINT grids are used for numerical calculations in solid state physics to approximate integrals over the Brillouin zone. An nxnx1 grid is a single plane of k-points and is used for strongly 2-dimensional systems, while an even grid is typically used to take advantage of symmetries. For surface calculations, only one k-point is used in the direction of the surface normal.
discoduck
Could somebody explain to me the concepts of KPOINT grids please. I know what k-space/reciprocal space is

What is the difference between an nxnxn grid and a nxnx1 grid for example, and why is it important to use even or odd grids for specific calculations

Physics news on Phys.org
The calculation of many quantities in solid state physics require some sort of integral over the Brillouin zone. When doing numerical calculations, these integrals cannot be carried out analytically, so you approximate the integral by using a grid in k-space. This is exactly the same as using, say, the trapezoid rule to integrate a function in one dimension, only we generalize it to a function of two or three dimensions.

An nxnx1 grid only is a single plane of k-points. You would only use this in a case where you have a system which is strongly 2-dimensional (examples might be cuprates and systems like ZrNCl). An even grid is usually best to take advantage of symmetries to speed the computation.

What type of grid would I need to use for a surface calculation i.e. bulk structure next to a vacuum?

For a surface calculation, you would only use one k=point in the direction of the surface normal. So if your surface is in the x-y plane, then your grid would be NxNx1

1. What is the purpose of using KPOINT grids?

KPOINT grids are used to specify the number and density of points in the Brillouin zone, which is important for accurately representing the electronic structure of a material.

2. How do I determine the appropriate KPOINT grid for my calculation?

The appropriate KPOINT grid depends on the size and complexity of the unit cell in your system. Generally, a denser grid is needed for larger and more complex unit cells. You can also consult literature or use automated tools to help determine the best KPOINT grid for your calculation.

3. Can I change the KPOINT grid after a calculation has been performed?

Yes, you can change the KPOINT grid after a calculation has been performed, but this may affect the accuracy of your results. It is recommended to use the same KPOINT grid for all calculations in a study for consistency.

4. What is the default KPOINT grid used in most calculations?

The default KPOINT grid varies depending on the software being used. However, a commonly used default is a 3x3x3 Monkhorst-Pack grid for cubic systems, and a 1x1x1 grid for non-cubic systems.

5. How does the KPOINT grid affect the computational cost of a calculation?

Using a denser KPOINT grid can significantly increase the computational cost of a calculation, as it requires more points to be calculated. However, a denser grid may also improve the accuracy of the results. It is important to find a balance between accuracy and computational cost when choosing a KPOINT grid.