Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question about matrix mechanics

1. Nov 7, 2014 #1
    HI, I've been running through my lectures notes and have stumbled upon something i can't quite figure out.

I am given

Ψ(x)=∑a_iΨ_i(x)

Then

OΨ(x)=∑ a_i O Ψ_i(x) , where O is an operator acting upon Ψ

Then i am given something which i don't quite understand,

OΨ_i(x) = ∑ O_ji Ψ_j(x) , Where O_ji (i assume) is now a matrix

I understand why the a_i terms disappear in this second equation but i'm unsure why the operator turns into a matrix and why the sum is now over all j's rather than i's

Thanks in advance for your help, John.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2014 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Well, in QM, we say that for a complete set of eigenstates we have [itex] I=\sum_j \psi_j^\dagger \psi_j [/itex](where I is the identity matrix and [itex] \psi^\dagger [/itex] means complex conjugating the elements of the column matrix and also transposing it). So we can write:
    [itex]
    O \psi_i=O I \psi_i=O(\sum_j \psi_j^\dagger \psi_j) \psi_i=\sum_j \psi_j^\dagger O \psi_i \psi_j
    [/itex]
    Now if we set [itex] O_{ji}=\psi_j^\dagger O \psi_i [/itex], we'll have the desired result.
    I should add the explanation that the [itex] \psi[/itex]s are column matrices and O was a matrix all along the way. The only difference is, when we write O without subscripts, it means we don't know(or don't write) O's elements and only know what O does to each column matrix. But after a certain point, we find out(or decide to write) O's elements.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  4. Nov 7, 2014 #3
    Ok I think i understand, I am assuming it is a property of the identity matrix that you can input it between O and Ψ and it will still be equal to OΨ. If that is true then i understand everything, think i may brush up on my knowledge of matricies before progressing any further.

Thanks Shyan.

5. Nov 7, 2014 #4

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Oh god...sorry man. I was wrong!
    At first, [itex] I=\sum_j \psi_j \psi_j^\dagger [/itex]. The reversed product gives a number and can't be equal to an operator!
    Second, I couldn't just send O through the column matrix!
    So I should've written:
    [itex]
    O \psi_i=IO\psi_i=(\sum_j \psi_j \psi_j^\dagger) O \psi_i=\sum_j \psi_j \psi_j^\dagger O \psi_i=\sum_j O_{ji}\psi_j
    [/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook