1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question about moment of inertia

1. Feb 12, 2015 #1
    If we have five identical rigid rods, each of length l and mass m, are connected together to form the system shown in the figure. The system may rotate about an axis passing through AB.

The question is to find the moment of inertia of the system with respect to axis AB.

I managed to find the MOI of BC and DE using parallel axis theorem. My question is more about CD and FE. How to find the MOI wrt CD and FE?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2015 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

I'm not sure if there's a way to do this other than starting from the integral definition of a moment of inertia. ##I=\int_a^b r^2dm## So you need to find a relation between the density and radius for the rods.

4. Feb 12, 2015 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

CD and EF are parallel to the axis of rotation. Doesn't that make their MoI quite straightforward to calculate?

5. Feb 12, 2015 #4
    Indeed. Treat the rods as point masses at their respective distances from the axis AB.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook