Does Thermal Radiation from Ordinary Materials Span All Wavelengths?

In summary, the conversation is discussing whether thermal radiation contains all wavelengths or not, specifically in regards to hot Tungsten and Iron. Theoretical beliefs suggest that it should contain all wavelengths, including X-ray and gamma ray, but in practice, it is very unlikely to detect these wavelengths from ordinary objects due to the emission of photons in quanta.
titansarus
Hi.

I want to know does thermal radiation contain all the wavelengths (from very near zero to almost infinity) or not? I want the thermal radiation of normal things like hot Tungsten (wolfram) or hot Iron. I don't want the black body radiation of a star.

I think, theoretically it must contain all the wavelengths. But in a diagram in internet, it said the thermal radiation have wavelengths between 0.1 to 100 μm range. I think it should at least have very few amount of X-ray and gamma ray theoretically. (maybe it isn't measurable) Am I right? Note that I know in real world, We can say it almost have no X-ray or gamma ray. I want It theoretically.

Physics news on Phys.org
The wavelength density distribution of Planck radiation is a continuum distribution which is nonzero at any wavelength, but as radiation has to be emitted in quanta (photons), it's very unlikely that you'll detect even a single photon with gamma-ray wavelength emitted from ordinary objects.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is thermal radiation?

Thermal radiation is the transfer of heat energy through electromagnetic waves. This type of heat transfer does not require any medium and can occur through a vacuum.

2. How is thermal radiation different from conduction and convection?

Thermal radiation differs from conduction and convection in that it does not require a material medium to transfer heat. Conduction and convection both involve the transfer of heat through physical contact or movement of a material.

3. What are some examples of thermal radiation?

Examples of thermal radiation include heat from the sun, a hot stove, a campfire, and a light bulb. Any object that emits heat in the form of electromagnetic waves is an example of thermal radiation.

4. How does the color of an object affect its thermal radiation?

The color of an object can affect its thermal radiation by determining the amount of heat it absorbs and emits. Darker colors tend to absorb and emit more heat, while lighter colors reflect more heat.

5. Can thermal radiation be harmful?

Yes, thermal radiation can be harmful in high doses. Prolonged exposure to high levels of thermal radiation can cause burns and other health problems. However, in normal everyday situations, thermal radiation is not harmful and is necessary for our survival.