Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple question about partial derivatives

1. Aug 21, 2011 #1
    I have come to a bit of a misunderstanding with partial derivatives. I will try to illustrate my problem. Say we have a function f(x, y(x), y'(x)) where y'(x)=dy/dx. Now suppose that f does not explicitly depend on x. My physics book says at this point that ∂f/∂x=0, even though y(x) and y'(x) may depend on x.
    Suppose f=y2
    Then ∂f/∂x=0
    but if we have y(x)=x, then we can write f as:
    f=x2 and we have
    ∂f/∂x=2x
    How can we have two different answers for the same derivative by simply rewriting the function in a different way?
    I apologize in advance if the answer is obvious and I am being a bit annoying by asking. But if you do have a helpful comment to post, I would greatly appreciate it!
    -Alex

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2011 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the first case, ∂f/∂y = 2y. Note that (I'll ignore y' since it is irrelevant):
    df/dx = ∂f/∂x + (∂f/∂y)(dy/dx). Therefore the final result is the same in both cases.

4. Aug 22, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The partial derivative of f "with respect to y" assumes y is independent of x or any other variables. If, in fact, f is a function of both x and y, and y is a function of x, then
    [tex]\frac{df}{dx}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

In your example, with [itex]f(x,y)= y^2[/itex] and y= x,
    [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= 0[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}= 2y[/tex]
    and
    [tex]\frac{df}{dx}= 0+ (2y)(1)= 2x[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook